FOOTBALL: Barrowby Swans continue fine away form at Southwell

Share this article
Have your say

Central Midlands League


Southwell City 1

Barrowby FC 2

Barrowby Swans were looking to continue their recent fine away form on Saturday when they took on Southwell City for the first time this season.

The visitors immediately set the tempo of the game and McDonald unleashed one of his trademark long range efforts from 20 yards after only five minutes, but it smashed against the bar. Again on 14 minutes, McDonald was involved in opening up the Southwell defence. A great ball over the top found Watson racing clear but his first touch in the box let him down and the ball trickled out to safety.

Some resolute Southwell defending kept the scores level during a mad scramble in the box after 26 minutes and Payne tested the keeper from distance 12 minutes later, but his fine volley crashed into the keeper’s arms.

Payne was again denied in first half stoppage time when some quality wing trickery from Watson ended with a great pass to the veteran midfielder, but the home keeper was alert to dive low and knock wide.

The second half started very much as the first finished with Barrowby dictating proceedings. McDonald hit another rasping effort just two minutes in but the keeper managed to parry away.

Clarke almost broke the deadlock on 49 minutes but his cute lob over the advancing keeper was intercepted by a Southwell defender on the line.

Finally the sustained pressure paid off on 56 minutes when the Swans took a deserved lead. Watson received the ball wide on the right and, after some clever interplay, Tyndall hit a low driven cross to the feet of Payne to tap in from six yards.

Clarke’s 62nd minute ball cut the home defence open and found the timely run of McDonald. A quick step over and drop of shoulder took him round the keeper but just as his shot was about to be struck, a clumsy tackle from behind sent him sprawling on the ground. The referee had no hesitation pointing to the spot and Stubbs struck the penalty well but the keeper guessed correctly.

The setback was short lived though and Barrowby increased their lead 10 minutes later. A long throw from Clarke bounced into the box through the crowded area and Watson was on hand to dispatch from close range.

Southwell pulled a goal back three minutes later when a well struck effort from an acute angle hit the upright and fortunately rebounded to the feet of the home striker to tap in unmarked.

Barrowby comfortably saw out the remainder of the game to secure their second away win in as many weeks.

Barrowby’s man of the match was Danny McDonald.