Harrowby United defeated by league debutants Nirvana

Harrowby United's man of the match was Sam Weatherstone.
Harrowby United's man of the match was Sam Weatherstone.
Have your say

United Counties League

Premier Division

Thurnby Nirvana 2

Harrowby United 1

Harrowby United fell to their second close defeat four days on a difficult Tuesday night visit to Leicester to face fellow Premier Division new boys Thurnby Nirvana.

Harrowby started brightly and inside the first five minutes Lee Shaw’s shot was blocked, as was Jack Whyley’s header from a corner. Shortly afterwards, Simon Bolland shot wide from distance.

The home side soon got into their stride however and enjoyed an excellent spell in the game where their pace down the flanks caused constant problems for the Arrows and, with better finishing, they could have had more than the one goal to show before half time.

That goal came from Ash Day whose shot after 19 minutes found the back of the net via slight deflection’s off both John Currall and Harrowby man-of-the-match Sam Weatherstone.

Three minutes after the goal Day was unlucky when, again after linking up from midfield, he saw his shot cannon away off a post.

Harrowby’s high line frustrated Nirvana for the rest of the half, catching their wide men offside on numerous occasions.

Thurnby were quick out of the blocks at the beginning of the second period and Harrowby keeper Aiden Hotchin had to be alert to save at the foot of his left hand post four minutes in.

A minute later, Scott Webb brought a save from Thurnby keeper James Flinders who tipped the ball away from a shot on the left. Webb had another chance, scooping the ball over after a cross from Shaw as the Arrows enjoyed their best spell of the game.

The home side always looked dangerous though and, on 56 minutes, Liam Canavan blazed over from eight yards out after good work on the left. Martin Wormall entered the fray just before the hour mark after re-joining the club this week, replacing Webb.

Immediately afterwards, Barry Payne had a header saved by Flinders before the ball was hacked off the line.

With the Arrows in the ascendancy, Thurnby produced a killer blow after 84 minutes. Another good break down the left played in Canavan who produced a fine piece of trickery to beat Arrows skipper Sam Hill. The midfielder then drove the ball across the goal for the ever lively Reece Morris to head home from close range.

Harrowby fought to get back into the game and Whyley headed out of defence to set them away on the break. Wormall played the ball through to Shaw who lobbed the ball over a stranded Flinders and into the net for his sixth goal of the season.

The home side restricted Harrowby to only one more chance in the dying stages, a fine effort from Liam Harper whose shot from the right drifted just wide of the left hand upright.

Harrowby United: Hotchin, Weatherstone, Clarke, Hill (c), Whyley, Harper, Bolland (Atkinson, 77), Currall, Webb (Wormall, 58), Payne, Shaw.