Harrowby United do the double over bottom side Burton Park

Have your say

ChromaSport United Counties League

Division One

Harrowby United 5

Burton Park Wanderers 0

Harrowby recorded a comfortable victory over basement club Burton Park Wanderers on a wet and windy tuesday night at Dickens Road.

The Arrows dominated play from the off and after forcing two quick corners, the pressure paid off when a ball into the box fell kindly for Martin Wormall who past Marc Mallard in the visitors’ goal.

It was one way traffic after that and only desperate defending and some decent keeping kept Harrowby at bay.

Luke Peberdy was unlucky after 15 minutes when a free kick from man-of-the-match Sam Kirton fell for him and he shot narrowly wide. On 22 minutes, a shot from Simon Bolland was blocked by Mallard and a follow-up effort from Jack Whyley was blocked on the line, with more than a hint of hand ball.

The second goal came after 26 minutes when a fine solo run from Lee Shaw saw him beat two defenders in the box and score with a cool finish past Mallard. The third arrived after half an hour when a shot from Sam Weatherstone was only cleared as far as Scott Webb who curled in a right footer.

Minutes later, the game was over as a contest when Bolland finished a sweeping Harrowby move with a right-foot drive from just inside the penalty area.

Wanderers, to their credit, started the second half on top and forced Harrowby on to the back foot. But the Arrows always looked dangerous on the counter-attack and on once such break a great run down the right from Wormall saw him lay the ball back to Jamie Preston whose snap shot was superbly saved by Mallard. On another break, Peberdy drove into the box and was unlucky to see his strike hit the side netting.

Getting back into their stride, Harrowby scored a fifth goal just after the hour mark when Bolland won the ball and found Wormall who slotted past the keeper with a composed finish.

Harrowby had a good shout for a penalty when Webb was tripped in the box after 70 minutes but their appeals were turned down by referee Mr Giles.

Wanderers prevented any more goals and were also denied a consolation when Sam Scothern came out well to smother the ball seven minutes from time. Wormall missed the chance of a hat trick when he miskicked only eight yards out after a poor defensive clearance.

Harrowby United: Scothern, Weatherstone (Hodgkin, 64), Preston, Hill, Whyley, Webb, Peberdy (Lee, 62), Kirton, Bolland (c) (Sheridan, 71), Wormall, Shaw. Subs not used: Harper, Michniew.