Harrowby United draw with champions Oadby

editorial image
Have your say

United Counties League

Division One

Oadby Town 1

Harrowby United 1

Harrowby United provided a guard of honour for new league champions Oadby Town on their visit to the Leicestershire club on Saturday.

The Arrows remained unbeaten against the Poachers this season, gaining a point to go with the one from the earlier encounter at the Environcom Stadium.

In a low key start to the game, both teams struggled to create chances although the home side enjoyed a greater share of possession. The Arrows’ first real chance followed a scramble in the penalty area after 24 minutes. The ball fell to Sam Hill whose shot was blocked, bringing muted appeals for handball from the Harrowby players which were waved away by referee Mr Griffiths.

A minute later, a long ball from Oadby centre back Eddie Appleton presented a shooting chance for Jon Stevenson. The Oadby striker’s effort was tipped on to the crossbar and behind for a corner by Harrowby goalkeeper Jack Drury.

The rest of the half saw Oadby in the ascendancy but unable to break through a resolute Arrows rearguard. Former Leicester City player Stevenson went closest with two efforts narrowly off target.

Oadby created a couple of early chances following the resumption with Stevenson and Rob Morgan by shooting over the bar. Stevenson was unlucky after 59 minutes with a shot that hit the bar and went over. Mr Griffiths bizarrely awarded a corner kick from which Drury produced a stunning reaction save to deny Jay Smedley.

On 70 minutes, a long ball up to the head of substitute Liam Warner was flicked out right to Lee Shaw, whose rising shot was comfortably saved by Luke Pickering in the Oadby goal.

The deadlock was broken after 78 minutes when Oadby skipper Jake Duffy’s pass released Eliot Putman on the right. His cross-shot was saved by Drury but fell kindly to Livo Dube who fired home from a tight angle, despite the best efforts of Drury who got a touch but could not keep the ball out.

Harrowby hit back to level almost immediately when Sam Kirton and Shaw combined well to find Scott Webb with space in the Oadby penalty area. Webb controlled the ball and rifled a shot into the roof of the net, giving Pickering no chance.

The Arrows finished the game strongly and, after 84 minutes, the ball was again fed into Webb but this time he was crowded out and prevented from getting a shot away

The result leaves Harrowby in second place, two points clear of Eynesbury Rovers, although Rovers have two games in hand. The Arrows have three games left and must hope for a slip-up from the St Neots-based side to hold on to the runners-up spot and promotion.

Harrowby United’s man of the match was Sam Hill.

Harrowby United: Drury, Currall, Preston, Hill, Whyley, Jaques (Weatherstone, 80), Kirton, Bolland (c), Lee (Webb, 69), Shaw, Wormall (Warner, 45). Sub not used: Hotchin.