Harrowby United exit Knockout Cup

Action from Harrowby United v Cogenhoe United on Saturday. Photo: Toby Roberts
Action from Harrowby United v Cogenhoe United on Saturday. Photo: Toby Roberts
Have your say

United Counties League

Knockout Cup

Harrowby United 0

Cogenhoe United 2

Harrowby United crashed out of the league Knockout Cup in a home defeat to Cogenhoe United.

The game was switched to the Environcom Stadium as Cogenhoe are experiencing floodlight problems.

The ‘Cooks’ are in a good run of form and ran out comfortable winners in a game described by Arrows co-manager Tony Joynes as “a bad day at the office”.

The visitors from Northamptonshire could have gone in front as early as the third minute when Harrowby conceded possession cheaply in midfield and Cogenhoe moved the ball quickly up to Danny Harmon on the left edge of the penalty area. After cutting inside, and with the goal at his mercy, the midfielder delayed his shot, allowing Luke Parsons to clear off the line.

The Cooks did not have to wait long for the opening goal when a seventh minute corner from the right found its way to Luke Emery who fired a low shot into the net at the foot of the right hand post.

After 25 minutes, Harrowby’s Simon Bolland lost possession to Harmon who passed to Jack Bowen who fired a shot wide.

Harrowby’s first real chance arrived in the 29th minute when a free kick into the box was dropped by Cooks keeper Josh McAdoo, and in the ensuing scramble the ball fell for Danny Durkin who shot over the crossbar.

The unfortunate Durkin’s afternoon and maybe season ended five minutes later when, after a good run, his shot was deflected behind for a corner. The Arrows top scorer fell heavily and was forced to the leave the field. A visit to hospital later revealed ankle ligament damage.

Eight minutes from half time, a long clearance upfield caused hesitation on the edge of the penalty between Arrows keeper Jonny Hotson and his defence, allowing Bowen to get a touch between them. The ball rolled goalwards and was tapped into the net by Emery, immediately bringing a flag for offside, much to the Arrows’ relief.

The second half followed a similar pattern, chances at a premium for the Arrows and the visitors looking dangerous going forward.

After 59 minutes, Webb brought a save from McAdoo. Arrows man of the match Bolland played a fine ball through for Webb whose low shot was saved with the keeper’s outstretched right leg, and a rebound effort fired into the side netting.

Cogenhoe doubled their advantage in the 68th minute when a cross into the Arrows box was not dealt with and Bowen reacted quickest to fire a right foot shot home from eight yards out.

Webb forced McAdoo into action again in the 78th minute when Fraser Bayliss created him a shooting chance.

Cogenhoe confidently saw out the remaining time to progress to the quarter-finals where they will face AFC Kempston or Eynesbury Rovers.

Harrowby can now concentrate on consolidating a top half finish but will miss the presence of Durkin whose inaugural season at senior level had brought him 20 goals before his injury.

Harrowby United: Hotson, Bolland, Dyson, Parsons, Stubbs (c), Webb, Hillier (Currall, 86), Dongo, Dunn (Harper, 63), Durkin (Vagarso, 34), Bayliss. Subs not used: Weatherstone, Watson.