Harrowby United get back on track

Martin Wormall
Martin Wormall
Share this article
Have your say

United Counties League

Division One

Burton Park Wanderers 2

Harrowby United 3

Harrowby United got their promotion push back on track in a hard fought contest at Latimer Park, home of Burton Park Wanderers.

In a game that was often scrappy due a heavy playing surface, Harrowby again conceded an early goal. Sam Hill was dispossessed by Devon Ellwood who, spotting Arrows keeper Jack Drury off his line, lobbed the ball over the stranded stopper and into an empty net.

Harrowby were almost level after eight minutes when a cross into the Burton Park area from John Currall found Martin Wormall. The Arrows striker controlled and fired in a low shot which was well saved by home keeper Craig Patterson’s legs. The keeper then did well to react to the rebound effort, again from Wormall, and deflected the ball away to safety.

United equalised three minutes later when a poor kick from Patterson was gathered by Wormall who advanced forward before shooting low into the net.

The Arrows took the lead after 19 minutes when a low teasing cross from Scott Webb across the goal line was turned into his own net by an unfortunate James Gorman, under pressure from Lee Shaw.

A controversial incident a minute before the break saw Wanderers right back Mickey Tolton produce an extremely reckless tackle on midfielder Sam Kirton. A high foot left the Harrowby player grounded and fortunate to avoid serious injury. Referee Mr Moore only gave the Burton Park player a yellow card and to add insult to injury, also cautioned United’s Kahmeel Spence for his protestations.

The home side started the second half well, forcing a good save from Drury after 52 minutes. The game developed into a midfield dogfight until Shaw produced a moment of real quality after 76 minutes. He advanced down the right, beating three defenders on his way and to his credit stayed on his feet when he could have easily gone down after one particular challenge. Shaw looked up and squared the ball perfectly to Wormall who smashed the ball into the net for his second of the game.

With 10 minute remaining, Wormall started a move down the right, playing a delightful ball for Shaw to run on to. Shaw returned the favour, only for Wormall’s shot to be saved by Patterson. Liam Harper’s rebound effort went wide.

A minute later, Harrowby’s lead was cut to a single goal when a hopeful ball over the top sent Carvel Jarvis away. The leggy striker coolly slotted the ball past Drury to give the Arrows a potentially nervy run-in into full time.

But the remaining time was seen out comfortably and more excellent work down the right from Shaw saw him pick out Bobby Lee in the penalty area. Lee rather rushed his shot and saw it fly over the crossbar with the goal at his mercy.

Harrowby United: Drury, Currall, Preston, Hill, Spence, Shaw, Kirton, Harper (Whyley, 86), Bolland (c), Webb (Lee, 71), Wormall. Subs not used: Weatherstone, Peberdy.