Harrowby United go nine games without a win

Liam Harper
Liam Harper
Have your say

United Counties League

Premier Division

Harrowby United 1

Peterborough Northern Star 5

Harrowby United slumped to a ninth league game without a win against the division’s form team Peterborough North Star who sit just three points off top spot.

The Arrows were under the cosh from the off and after only two minutes the league’s top scorer Avelino Vieira’s shot came back off the crossbar and Phil Stebbing’s follow-up effort was superbly saved by the outstretched leg of Jack Drury in the home side’s goal.

The lead was not long coming and only a minute later a long range shot from Sam Murphy deflected off team-mate Stebbing to loop over Drury and into the net. The advantage was doubled five minutes later when Luke Avis ran into the box and squared for Stebbing to bundle the ball home from a couple of yards out.

PNS added a third goal after a quarter of an hour when a poor corner in from Arrows’ Scott Webb was easily cleared to set Star away on a counter-attack. Jordan Macleod advanced down the left before playing the ball in for Avis whose shot had enough power on it to beat Drury, despite his fine attempt to keep it out.

Harrowby tried to rally the early onslaught and after 24 minutes Liam Jaques’ well-timed run from midfield got him on to a through-ball and his flicked shot over PNS keeper Tom Roberts also just cleared the crossbar. The Arrows defence held the visitors at bay for the rest of the half, and at the other end, Lee Shaw forced Roberts to make a save on the stroke of half time.

The second half was more of the same – PNS in the ascendancy and the Arrows looking to catch them on the break.

Just past the hour, Martin Wormall turned his marker just inside the box but saw his shot clear the bar.

PNS added their fourth after 66 minutes with a counter-attack of their own. Avis made ground down the left before supplying Stebbing with a pinpoint cross. The striker controlled and despatched the ball into the net from around six yards out.

Ten minutes later, the visitors again rattled the woodwork before making it five in the 78th minute. Vieira crossed for substitute Nick Davey to tap in at the far post.

Only a minute later, the Arrows gave the ball away in midfield and Vieira, through one-on-one with Drury, shot against the post.

Harrowby, to their credit, kept going and their endeavour was rewarded with a consolation goal a minute from time. A long throw from the left by Joe Clarke was flicked on and found its way to substitute Barry Payne who fired smartly past Roberts on the half volley.

Harrowby United’s man of the match was Liam Harper.

Harrowby United: Drury, Currall (Weatherstone, 67), Clarke, Hill, Whyley, Harper, Peberdy (Lee, 56), Jaques (Payne, 61), Webb, Wormall (c), Shaw. Subs not used: Daykin, Hotchin.