Harrowby United promotion hopes suffer setback

editorial image
Share this article
Have your say

United Counties League

Division One

Harrowby United 1

Lutterworth Athletic 2

Harrowby United’s promotion ambitions suffered a setback on Tuesday evening when they went down by the odd goal in three to Lutterworth Athletic.

The game got off to a very tight start with both sides looking to press but finding openings hard to come by.

The Arrows managed to get their noses in front after 17 minutes when Scott Webb cut in from the left and saw his low left foot shot find the corner of the net.

Athletic controversially levelled nine minutes later when referee Mr Gray failed to stop the game to allow treatment for a head injury to Kahmeel Spence on the halfway line. The ball was knocked in behind the Arrows defence and Lutterworth striker Liam Barrett carried the ball into the penalty area and slotted home a good finish past Jack Drury in the Harrowby goal.

Two minutes later, a speculative 40-yard effort from Martin Wormall just dipped over the crossbar, the Arrows striker having spotted keeper Ryan Tilley off his line.

Lutterworth took the lead after 35 minutes when a long ball wide and in behind left back Jamie Preston resulted in pacey wide man Barnes Gladman racing away on goal. The Lutterworth winger held off Preston and fired home an excellent finish across Drury and into the corner of the net.

Three minutes later, after after a succession of corners, Jack Whyley looked odds on to score but Spence took the ball off his team-mate’s head in his own attempt to score.

A minute before the break, a Sam Kirton header from another corner was blocked and Wormall’s follow-up effort was saved by Tilley on the goal line.

The final chance of the half went to Webb when the ball fell to him as Lee Shaw challenged the keeper on the edge of the box. With time and the goal gaping, Webb failed to hit the target, shooting past the left hand upright.

Lutterworth controlled the tempo of the game in the second half with good ball retention and always looked dangerous on the counter attack. Harrowby had a great opportunity after 66 minutes when, with a counter attack of their own, Webb carried the ball to the edge of the penalty area but elected to shoot when he had options right and left to play in Shaw or Wormall respectively. The shot went tamely through to Tilley.

Harrowby were reduced to 10 men five minutes from time when Simon Bolland picked a second yellow card for persistent foul play. A minute later, Webb and Wormall combined well, creating a shooting chance for the latter which cleared the crossbar.

Harrowby almost snatched a point right on the 90-minute mark. Good work down the left from Shaw gave him the chance to cross from the byline. The teasing pull back across the six-yard line was inches away from being connected by the outstretched boot of Webb.

Harrowby United: Drury, Weatherstone, Preston, Spence, Whyley, Kirton, Webb, Simn Bolland (c), Lee {Wilcocks 86}, Wormall, Shaw. Subs not used: Gibson, Andersen, Currall, Davies.

Picture Harrowby goalscorer Scott Webb.