Harrowby United record first draw of the season

Man of the match was Jack Whyley.
Man of the match was Jack Whyley.
Have your say

ChromaSport United Counties League

Division One

Harrowby United 0

Olney Town 0

Harrowby United recorded their first draw of the season in a goalless stalemate with Olney Town.

On chances created, Harrowby should have been home and dry by half time. The first came in the third minute when the Arrows crafted an opening for Martin Wormall who shot straight at the Nurserymen keeper Stuart Dorrill.

Lee Shaw burst through the Olney defence on a solo run after 11 minutes but saw his shot was deflected away for a corner. Shortly after, Shaw’s cross from the right flank was only half cleared to Scott Webb whose shot was also blocked at the expense of a corner kick. From the corner, the ball found its way to an unmarked Sam Hill in the six-yard box, but his shot hit the inside of the post and somehow stayed out.

Olney always looked dangerous on the break and Jack Drury in the Arrows goal was forced to save with his feet and then dive acrobatically to his right to palm away a shot from the resulting corner.

Just after the half hour mark, a smart piece of work from Liam Harper allowed him to release Shaw out on the right. Shaw’s teasing cross was inches away from being converted by a stretching Wormall.

As half time approached, another corner into the box found Hill who was unable to get a shot away before the ball was scrambled clear. More good work from Shaw, on the stroke of half time, saw his cross headed just wide by a diving Wormall.

The second half saw more of the same. A Jack Whyley header from another corner was saved on the line. A Wormall shot was saved by Dorrill, the ball rebounding to Simon Bolland whose shot came back off of the right hand post.

Harrowby had two good shouts for penalties waved away by referee Mr Johnson, the first when Wormall was brought down from behind in the six-yard box, and the second when a Sam Kirton shot from just outside the box was stopped by a defender’s outstretched hand.

Harper had a good chance after 65 minutes but shot wide. Kirton then hit a screamer from distance which was tipped over the bar superbly by Dorrill.

A final chance in stoppage time was created by Wormall who shot just over the frame of the goal to leave the Arrows frustrated in the knowledge that it was two points dropped rather than a point gained after dominating so much of the game.

Man of the match was Jack Whyley.

Harrowby: Drury, Weatherstone, Preston, Hill, Whyley, Webb (Peberdy, 75), Kirton, Bolland (c), Harper, Wormall, Shaw. Subs not used: Sheridan, Gibson, Mayes, Lewis.