Harrowby United run out comfortable winners at St Neots

Hat trick hero Lee Shaw
Hat trick hero Lee Shaw
Have your say

United Counties League

Division One

St Neots Saints 3

Harrowby United 6

Harrowby United returned to winning ways on a blustery autumnal afternoon in Cambridgeshire.

The Arrows ran out comfortable winners in the end, in their first ever visit to the Rowley Park Stadium home of St Neots Town.

Sharp out of the blocks, Harrowby took the lead after only six minutes when Craig Wilson played in Liam Harper on the right edge of the penalty area. Harper controlled the ball and produced a fine finish to chip the Saints keeper Alex Vetue.

The Arrows doubled their advantage after 14 minutes when a quick free kick from Scott Webb found Lee Shaw who held the ball up before feeding Wilson who drilled home from the edge of the area.

This season’s injury jinx struck again on 25 minutes when skipper Jack Whyley was caught accidentally by an elbow and the resulting split on his cheekbone required hospital treatment. Whyley was replaced by Bobby Lee, the captain’s armband passing to Sam Kirton who tucked in at centre back.

The home side took advantage of the Arrows reshuffle, immediately getting back into the game when a ball into the box was converted by Tom Wood.

Saints levelled eight minutes later when a through-ball by Karl Safee was taken on by Kaine Felix who rounded Arrows keeper Jack Drury to score.

To their credit, Harrowby showed great character not to capitulate and hit back with a devastating three-goal salvo before the interval. The first was a well taken finish by Shaw, coolly slotting past the advancing keeper on 41 minutes. The second, two minutes later, was a quality finish from Wilson who turned the home defence with a cleaver flick before firing home a half volley.

Wilson then turned provider on the stroke of half time when he chested the ball down for Shaw to shoot in off the upright to send the Arrows in 5-2 up at the break.

The second period was a containing exercise for Harrowby, allowing Saints plenty of possession and defending deep whilst looking to catch them on the break.

On one such break after 56 minutes, Shaw completed an excellent hat trick when he fired home through a crowd of players after the Saints defence failed to clear.

For all St Neots’ endeavour, they were restricted to just one further goal which came three minutes from time when the lively Felix cut in from the right at pace and shot home past Drury with the help of a slight deflection.

Harrowby United man of the match was Kahmeal Spence.

Harrowby United: Drury, Neaverson, Preston, Spence, Whyley (Lee, 25), Harper, Jaques, Kirton, Webb (Peberdy, 74), Shaw, Wilson (Vorley, 83).