Harrowby United’s unbeaten league record comes to an end

Share this article
Have your say

United Counties League

Division One

Rothwell Corinthians 6

Harrowby United 2

Following their FA Vase defeat on Saturday, Harrowby United’s week got worse at Seargents Lawn, home of Rothwell Corinthians, on an extremely wet Tuesday night in Northamptonshire. The Arrows’ unbeaten league record went crashing as the home side ran out winners.

There were early chances for both sides, a Bobby Lee shot from the edge of the box brought a fine diving save from Rothwell keeper Lewis Marlow before, at the other end, Sam Johnson broke clear on the right and clipped the far post with a chip over Arrows keeper Jack Drury.

It was Johnson who made the breakthrough for Corinthians with a low shot through a crowded area in the 26th minute, after Harrowby had given away an unnecessary corner with a wayward back pass from Kamal Spence.

United levelled on 37 minutes when Bobby Lee glanced in Scott Webb’s corner to the near post, the ball going just inside the far post.

The game was turned on its head early in the second half with a contentious sending off for Harrowby captain Jack Whyley. The Arrows defender was adjudged to have impeded Matt Redding in the box. Referee Mr Wills was not interested but was forced to act after his assistant Mr Hartley flagged furiously to the amazement of both teams. Ben Johnson emphatically fired home the resulting spot kick to give Rothwell the lead.

Lee Shaw brought another good save from Marlow in the 57th minute, the home keeper tipping over the striker’s effort.

Corinths extended their lead with a 59th minute breakaway, Sam Johnson and Rosella combining to free Redding whose cross was turned in by Simon Barby.

Sam Kirton had an effort saved by Marlow shortly before Liam Harper scored the goal of the game, netting with a sublime volley from out on the right which dipped wickedly over the keeper’s head to bring the Arrows back to within a goal deficit.

But that was short lived when Sam Johnson fed Tom Scarratt whose delivery from the left went in off defender Tom Vorley for an own goal to restore Rothwell’s two goal advantage after 72 minutes.

A fifth goal arrived two minutes later when Scarratt and Shaun Morris combined, playing in Sam Johnson who drilled home a low shot. The scoring was completed by Rosella three minutes from time with a clever hooked effort which dropped just inside the far post to compound a miserable night for Harrowby.

Harrowby United: Drury, Jaques, Vorley (Gibson, 78), Spence, Whyley (c), Peberdy (Shaw), Kirton, Lee, Harper, Shaw, Webb.