Harrowby United share the points with Newport Pagnell

Harrowby's man of the match was Billy Stubbs.
Harrowby's man of the match was Billy Stubbs.
Have your say

United Counties League

Premier Division

Harrowby United 1

Newport Pagnell Town 1

Harrowby United shared the spoils with 10-man Newport Pagnell Town in a game they easily could have thrown away in the last quarter of an hour.

The first half was a pretty drab affair, both sides working hard but cancelling each other out as defences held the upper hand.

The Arrows’ most notable effort came 10 minutes before the break when good work between Scott Webb, Lee Shaw and Liam Harper created a shooting chance that Webb hit straight at ‘Swans’ keeper Josh McAdoo.

Harrowby got the second period off to a perfect start when Lee Shaw’s persistence earned his side a corner. Webb’s flag kick found Barry Payne at the far post who knocked the ball square for Billy Stubbs to swoop in and nod the ball home from a couple of yards out.

The Arrows nearly cashed in from a free kick from Webb. His whipped in cross was well met by the head of skipper Sam Hill only for the ball to hit the left hand upright and bounce to safety.

A red carding seemed to galvanise Pagnell and they upped their game to make United’s extra man almost unnoticeable.

Another Harrowby free kick into the area on 78 minutes was headed narrowly wide by man-of-the-match Stubbs.

Three minutes later, the 10 men made Harrowby pay when they knocked a ball out of their penalty area from a corner and played it forward quickly to Dom Lawless. Lawless powered through, catching the Arrows short at the back, and slotted calmly past a helpless Aiden Hotchin in the Harrowby goal.

Sensing an unlikely comeback, Pagnell went all out for a winner and Harrowby were grateful to Hotchin in the 83rd minute, the young keeper saving well from the ever dangerous Lawless. A minute later Hotchin produced an even better save as another quick break again found Lawless with time to shoot.

Two minutes from time, Harper was put through by Shaw and shot over the bar when a pass seemed his better option.

Newport almost snatched all the points in the 91st minute when the referee played an advantage following a late tackle on the edge of the area from Stubbs. The ball fell to Lawless whose effort was again saved by Hotchin.

Harrowby United: Hotchin, Weatherstone (Peberdy, 67), Clarke, Stubbs, Whyley (Jaques, 12), Currall. Hill (c), Payne, Webb, Harper, Shaw. Subs not used: Atkinson, Floyd, Scothern.