Harrowby United take early lead in home victory

editorial image
Share this article
Have your say

United Counties League

Division One

Harrowby United 4

Wellingborough Whitworth 1

Harrowby United came out on top against a spirited Wellingborough Whiworth side in a game in which Arrows defender Jack Whyley scored at both ends.

Harrowby took an early lead when a cleared corner was crossed back into the penalty area and Whyley headed past Lee Baxter in the ‘Flourmen’s’ goal with six minutes on the clock.

The visitors almost levelled two minutes later when Matt Hibberd shot from eight yards only to see Arrows keeper Jack Drury make the first of a number of excellent saves, diving acrobatically to push the ball over the bar.

The Arrows doubled their lead after 13 minutes when a kick upfield from Drury was flicked on by the heads of Martin Wormall and by Sam Kirton, to set Lee Shaw racing away on goal. The Arrows striker coolly rounded Baxter and knocked the ball into an empty net.

Whitworth had a good chance to pull a goal back five minutes into the second half when a long throw put Luke McDonald in behind Sam Hill and into the penalty area. Hill brought the Whitworth player down and referee Mr Pywell had no hesitation in awarding a penalty kick. The well struck spot kick was superbly kept out by Drury, the Arrows stopper diving mid-air to his left and getting a strong hand to the ball to divert it around the post and behind for a corner.

Two minutes later Shaw was put through for another one-on-one with Baxter but this time, after rounding the keeper, his effort on goal went narrowly wide.

Three minutes past the hour mark, substitute Luke Peberdy made it 3-0 as he cut in from the right to shoot low and hard past Baxter.

The Flourmen got back into the game after 71 minutes when a scrambled shot from inside the box was headed into his own net by the unfortunate Whyley as he tried to clear the danger. Four minutes later, Drury produced another excellent save, tipping a rasping shot from the edge of the area over the bar.

Whitworth were reduced to 10 men after 77 seven minutes after a blatant stamp on a prone Shaw by James Mallows left Mr Pywell little choice but to show the defender a red card. Minutes later, Harrowby put the game beyond doubt when a fine cross from the right by Simon Bolland was headed home by an unmarked Shaw at the far post.

A minute from time, a free kick into the box found Sam Hill whose goalbound shot was deflected behind. From the resulting corner, Whyley volleyed over from the edge of the box.

Three minutes into stoppage time man-of-the-match Drury was beaten for once when a fine long range effort hit the cross bar but stayed out.

Harrowby United: Drury, Currall (Peberdy, 45), Preston, Hill, Whyley, Kirton, Jaques, Bolland (c), Lee (Andersen, 69), Wormall, Shaw.