Harrowby United take share of points in end-of-season game

Harrowby United
Harrowby United
Have your say

United Counties League

Division One

Harrowby United 1

Northampton ON Chenecks 1

Harrowby United went into their last game of the season already knowing that they would finish the season in a very respectable third position, Eynesbury Rovers having pipped the Arrows to the second promotion spot with a very impressive run, winning their last 11 games.

The first half had a distinct end of season feel to it as the game took a while to spark into life. The first attack of any real threat came from the visitors after 16 minutes when a free kick from the edge of the box was saved at the foot of the post by Harrowby goalkeeper Jack Drury.

The Arrows’ first notable effort on goal came just before the half hour mark when good work down the left flank between Jamie Preston and Bobby Lee created a chance for Lee Shaw whose shot was well saved by Chenecks keeper Andy Curran’s legs.

John Currall was presented with a shooting chance just before half time by Sam Weatherstone’s good work down the right. The Harrowby right back’s shot was blocked and Simon Bolland’s follow-up effort was deflected behind for a corner.

Harrowby, having been second best for long periods of the first half, upped their game in the second period and Lee fed Shaw early on, but the Harrowby striker’s shot was straight at Curran. Just before the hour mark, another good forage down the right by Weatherstone saw him pass inside to Shaw whose shot was deflected for another corner.

After 63 minutes, Currall tried his luck from a good 25 yards out was was unlucky to see the ball rattle the bar, the ball cannoning back to Shaw whose attempted header lacked any power and was comfortably dealt with by Curran.

Five minutes later, Harrowby opened the scoring when a free kick into the box by Currall was met by the head of Sam Hill who directed the ball past Curran and into the net.

A minute later, Martin Wormall shot from the edge of the box and was unfortunate to see the ball hit the post and stay out.

Having seen chances come and go, Harrowby were stung by a Chenecks equaliser five minutes from time when a corner from the right fell nicely to Chrissy Doran who curled the ball inside the post and into the net from just inside the penalty area.

Two minutes later, Harrowby thought they had forced a winner when a corner was cleared out only as far as Liam Jaques. Jaques’s cross was well met by Jack Whyley 12 yards out, but the Harrowby centre back’s acrobatic effort was superbly saved by Curran, the keeper getting across to push the ball away to safety as it headed for the top corner of the net.

The match was sponsored by Grantham Truck Services.

Photographed before the game, Harrowby United are from left, back – co-manager Jay Harrison, Jamie Preston, Liam Harper, Aiden Hotchin, Martin Wormall, Luke Peberdy, Jack Drury, Jack Whyley, Bobby Lee and co-manager Mark Fardell; front – Liam Jaques, Simon Bolland, Sam Weatherstone, John Currall, Lee Shaw, Sam Kirton and Sam Hill.