Harrowby United take share of the spoils from top-of-the-table clash

editorial image
Share this article
Have your say

United Counties League

Division One

Eynesbury Rovers 2

Harrowby United 2

Second-placed Harrowby United travelled to the Alfred Hall Memorial ground on Tuesday night, where the spoils were shared with Eynesbury who lie third in the league.

Eynesbury had the game’s first real opportunity after five minutes when the ball was cleared off the Harrowby goal line from a Tom Coles effort, and the follow-up chance was well tipped over the bar by Arrows custodian Jack Drury.

Harrowby took the lead after 19 minutes when a Liam Harper corner was headed down by Simon Bolland. In the ensuing scramble, the ball was flicked home from inside the six-yard box by by an alert Kahmeel Spence.

Drury did well just before the half hour mark, again tipping over a header from a corner, this time from Paul Reynolds.

Rovers levelled after 32 minutes when a Coles free kick from the right was controlled by top scorer Lee Bassett who was able to turn in the box and fire home through a crowd of players.

Eynesbury finished the half on the ascendancy, twice going close through Bassett, although the last action of the half saw Spence head wide from a Sam Kirton corner.

In a full blooded second half, both side went for an all important second goal. It was the home side who got that advantage after 59 minutes. A quick throw-in on the left caught Harrowby napping and found Jack Weeden. The Rovers wideman cut inside and fired home a low shot past a helpless Drury.

Drury kept Harrowby in the game 10 minutes later with a great point blank save to deny Coles. It was not all one-way traffic though and four minutes later Lee Shaw did well, cutting in from the right before being thwarted by a save from the legs of Rovers keeper Andrew Wale.

Harrowby’s equaliser came in the 82nd minute when a deep cross from Bobby Lee was headed home at the far post by Martin Wormall.

Both sides pushed for a winner in the closing stages and man-of-the-match Drury again did well, saving with his legs from Alex Marsh.

A minute from time, the Arrows were given a great opportunity to win it when they were awarded a penalty kick. Shaw was brought down in the box by Renoylds and referee Mr Chapps had no hessitation in pointing to the spot.

Wale came to Rovers’ rescue, guessing correctly to beat the normally reliable Wormall’s spot kick.

With the game in stoppage time, Wale again distinguished himself with a superb reaction save to push away a deflected Wormall effort at his right hand post.

Harrowby United: Drury, Currall (Weatherstone, 74), Preston, Hill, Spence (Whyley, 54), Kirton, Shaw, Jaques, Bolland (c), Wormall, Harper (Lee, 61). Sub not used: Davies.