Harrowby United take well-earned point on the road

Liam Jaques
Liam Jaques
Share this article
Have your say

United Counties League

Premier Division

AFC Kempston Rovers 2

Harrowby United 2

The Arrows returned to Bedfordshire to face AFC Kempston Rovers who knocked them out of the league cup two weeks previously, and left with a well-earned point that could so easily have been three.

The opening stages were fairly even, Aiden Hotchin in the Harrowby goal making a comfortable early save from a long range effort from Shane Bush after 11 minutes.

The home side broke the deadlock after a quarter of an hour when Bush sprang the Arrows offside trap, taking the ball around Hotchin and slotting into an empty net.

Harrowby responded well and three minutes later Bobby Lee broke through the Kempston defence, advanced to the penalty area before being brought down by left back Orlando Joao. Referee Mr Jones awarded a free kick but only produced a yellow card for Joao, even though he had denied Lee a clear goal scoring opportunity.

Lee stepped up himself and drove the free kick past Martin Conway in the the Kempston goal to level the scores.

Harrowby continued to look dangerous on the break and after 33 minutes, a good run from wide man Sam Weatherstone was eventually ended as he was crowded out and prevented from getting a shot away as he entered the penalty area.

Three minutes later, Martin Wormall played a through-ball which again put Lee in, the Arrows striker this time denied by a fine save from Conway.

The home side pressed hard in the second period, forcing Harrowby to defend deep and soak up pressure. Both Sam Hill and John Currall were forced into producing excellent saving tackles to prevent Kempston from going in front.

Although always looking dangerous on the counter, Harrowby took the lead against the run of play with 81 minutes on the clock. Wormall was fed the ball just outside the left edge of the Kempston penalty area, advanced inside, before turning his marker and calmly stroking the ball past the outstretched hand of the diving Conway.

As Kempston looked for an equaliser, Harrowby again caught them on the break two minutes from time. Scott Webb’s shot from the right side of the area was well saved by Conway.

Kempston kept pushing and were rewarded in the inexplicable ninth minute of stoppage time. Mr Jones awarded them a free kick just outside the penalty area and Conway came up from his goal to take the kick. The keeper’s shot was parried by his opposite number Hotchin but fell kindly for Grant Fryer to knock the ball home and salvage a point for the home side.

Harrowby United’s man of the match was Liam Jaques.

Harrowby United: Hotchin, Currall, Clarke, Hill, Whyley (Daykin, 28), Weatherstone, Peberdy, Jaques, Webb, Wormall (c), Lee. Subs not used: Vorley, Floyd.