Lacklustre Harrowby United suffer defeat at Rushden & Higham

Have your say

Harrowby United’s first visit to Hayden Road, home of Rushden & Higham United, ended in a comprehensive defeat for a lacklustre Arrows side.

Chromasports United Counties League

Division One

Rushden & Higham United 5

Harrowby United 1

The home side opened the scoring with a penalty after 19 minutes from Daryl Lawman when Sam Weatherstone was adjudged to have fouled. Lawman added his second four minutes later when he ran on to a fine through-ball to lash the ball into the net from just inside the penalty area.

The goals continued to come and Harrowby briefly got themselves back into the game on 28 minutes when their best move of the game started with Chris Gibson feeding the ball through to Lee Shaw. He played a nice one-two with Martin Wormall who, taking the return pass, slotted coolly past Nigel Bedford in the Rushden goal.

The comeback was short lived and two minutes later Lewis O’Dell got in behind the Arrows backline to make if 3-1 to the home side at the break.

Harrowby tried to change things at half time, bringing on Scott Webb and Simon Bolland for Weatherstone and Owen Sheridan. A third change was needed after 55 minutes when Tom Vorley replaced the injured Jack Whyley.

Rushden had a goal ruled out for offside after 70 minutes but extended their lead a minute later when slack marking at a throw-in resulted in Jack Drury, in the Arrows goal, saving well, but he was helpless to do anything about O’Dell picking up the rebound and slotting home.

Having made all their substitutions, Harrowby were forced to play the last 15 minutes with 10 men after skipper Matt Hodgkin left the field with a head injury.

Lawman completed his hat trick as he timed his run well to get away from Harrowby’s high back line.

Harrowby’s man of the match was Martin Wormall.

Harrowby United: Drury, Hill, Stubbs, Whyley (Vorley, 55), Gibson, Harper, Hodgkin (c), Sheridan (Bolland, 45), Weatherstone (Webb, 45), Wormall, Shaw. Subs not used: Fardell.