Stoppage time goals earn Harrowby United a share of points

Harrowby United line up to meet their hosts.
Harrowby United line up to meet their hosts.
Share this article
Have your say

United Counties League

Premier Division

Man of the match Fraser Bayliss.

Man of the match Fraser Bayliss.

Northampton Sileby Rangers 4

Harrowby United 4

Harrowby travelled to Sileby in confident mood on the back of a good recent run, knowing it would be a tough game in driving rain and extremely blustery conditions.

The two teams shared eight goals and both managers would have been frustrated at not winning the game, Harrowby rescuing a point with two stoppage time goals.

The hosts kicked with the wind in the first half and adopted a shoot on site policy. Arrows keeper Jonny Hotson made the first real save of the game in the 15th minute from a shot from distance. Two minutes later on the counter attack, Harrowby top scorer Danny Durkin had a chance when put through by Simon Bolland but dragged his shot across goal and wide. Another ball from Bolland presented a shooting chance for Sam Hill again the shot went wide.

In the 20th minute, a Sileby break down the left ended with a low cross into the penalty area which was well defended by Jack Whyley, the centre back timing his challenge perfectly to thwart Ife Ogunbayo in front of goal.

Harrowby took the lead in the 25th minute when a great run down the right by George Stainfield took him to the edge of the Sileby penalty area, exchange a neat one two with Durkin before planting a low shot past Gavin Garscadden in the Rangers goal.

The home side equalised after 29 minutes when another wind assisted shot, this time from full back Joe Handley, crept in off the right hand upright. Three minutes later, Troy Johnston tried his look from a good 35 yards and was rewarded when the ball squirmed under Hotson and into the net to put Rangers in front.

Harrowby fancied their chances in the second half as they had the opportunity to use the howling wind to their advantage. United piled on the pressure but were denied an equaliser in the 71st minute when a Billy Stubbs header from a corner was knocked away by a Stuart Macmichael header as far as Hill, whose shot was scrambled off the line.

Harrowby made it two goals apiece three minutes later when a throw from Hillier wasn’t dealt with and this time the loose ball fell to Arrows man of the match Bayliss who fired home through a crowd of players.

Harrowby then switched off and Rangers punished them with two quick goals. Their third came in the 76th minute. Handley broke down the right before swinging over a fine cross which found Joe Merrill on the left edge of the penalty area. The wide man controlled and fired a low shot past Hotson and into the net.

A couple of minutes later Rangers bagged a fourth when the Arrows went to sleep in defence and failed to clear their lines, allowing Ogunbayo to pick the ball up and fire home from the edge of the six yard box.

Sileby looked to be seeing the game out comfortably as it entered stoppage time but on 91 minutes the Arrows were awarded a free kick on the left. Hillier stepped up and curled the ball to the far post which deceived the keeper, floated over him and into the net.

In the fourth minute of added time, Harrowby salvaged a point when Handley, trying to keep possession in the corner, was dispossessed and the ball was hacked forward. Bayliss latched on to it down the left and drilled a peach of a low, hard cross across the six yard box, which was stabbed home by the supporting Durkin for his 16th goal of the season to earn Harrowby a share of the spoils.

Harrowby United: Hotson, Bolland, Currall, Whyley (Pearce, 55), Stubbs (c), Webb (Watson, 80), Hillier, Hill, Stainfield, Durkin, Bayliss.

+ Harrowby United are at home to Wellingborough Town on Saturday, kick-off 3pm.