Ten-man Harrowby United lose by single goal after dominating match

Have your say

ChromaSport United Counties League

Division One

Eynesbury Rovers 1

Harrowby United 0

Harrowby United endured a frustrating trip to St Neots, in Cambridgeshire, to face fourth-placed Eynesbury Rovers who ended the Arrows six-game unbeaten run.

Harrowby came away with a single goal defeat in a match they dominated for long periods, despite playing for an hour with 10 men after losing captain Simon Bolland to a straight red card after 31 minutes.

The Arrows started the game brightly and the home side were fortunate after only five minutes when Luke Peberdy, making his first start, was put through only to be brought down by home custodian Andrew Wale just outside the box. The keeper was lucky to escape with a yellow card and the resulting free kick from Sam Kirton was saved.

Just after the 10 minute mark, good work from Sam Weatherstone and Martin Wormall split the home defence to give Lee Shaw a clear run on goal. Shaw was unable to produce a finish, shooting straight at Wale’s legs.

After 22 minutes, the Arrows did have the ball in the net when a ball crossed in from the left by Kirton found Scott Webb who steered the ball home, only to be thwarted by the assistant referee’s flag for offside.

Things then took a turn for the worse for the visitors when skipper Bolland lunged into a tackle, arriving high and late. He was immediately given his marching orders by referee Mr Dunkley.

Harrowby continued to press, despite being a man down, and just before half time Wormall shot just over the bar.

Rovers looked to assert themselves early in the second half and Jack Drury, in the Harrowby goal, saved well with his feet only a minute after the restart.

Scott Webb came to Harrowby’s rescue after 66 minutes when he headed off the line following an Eynesbury corner.

The game’s only goal came after 76 six minutes. A ball into the Harrowby penalty area was only half cleared and from the ensuing scramble, it fell kindly to a prone James Freshwater who poked the ball home from inside the six-yard box.

Harrowby responded and Kirton had a shot deflected out for a corner.

With 10 minutes remaining, Arrows keeper Drury punched clear from a corner and was rewarded with a hefty challenge that required lengthy treatment. He carried on for another few minutes but had to be replaced by Sam Scothern between the sticks when it became evident he could not continue.

Having made all of their substitutions Harrowby were reduced to nine men when Shaw, chasing a through-ball, bravely challenged Wale. He came off second best and had to leave the field on a stretcher after suffering a knee injury.

In the 13 minutes of stoppage time, Bobby Lee had a long range effort well saved by Wale, and at the other end Scothern did likewise right at the end.

Harrowby United: Drury (Scothern, 86), Weatherstone (Lee, 79), Preston, Hill, Whyley, Webb, Bolland (c), Kirton, Peberdy (Sheridan, 36), Wormall, Shaw. Subs not used: Michniew, Mayes.