Two early goals leave Harrowby United a mountain to climb

Man of the match was Jack Whyley.
Man of the match was Jack Whyley.
Share this article
Have your say

United Counties League

Premier Division

Holbeach United 5

Harrowby United 1

Harrowby United travelled to champions elect Holbeach United midweek and, despite an encouraging performance, came away on the wrong end of a five goals to one scoreline, the home side returning to the top of the league.

Conceding two early goals left the Arrows with a mountain to climb. The first, with less than two minutes played, when a hopeful through-ball from Holbeach saw young keeper Aiden Hotchin slide out to gather, only for the ball slip out of his grasp and gift an easy tap-in for former Grantham Town man Jamie Clarke on his Holbeach home debut.

Three minutes later, Liam Harper set up a shooting chance for Sam Hill but the shot drifted wide. After nine minutes, a corner from the left by Scott Webb was headed goalwards by Arrows man-of-the-match Jack Whyley, bringing a fine save from Tigers keeper Nick Conroy who tipped the ball over the crossbar.

The second goal after only 12 minutes came from a Harrowby goal kick which was headed straight back, unchallenged, behind the Arrows back four. Tommy Treacher held off Whyley and fired home from just inside the penalty area.

Harrowby looked to get back into the game, Harper shooting wide after 22 minutes after good work from Martin Wormall, and a free kick into the area five minutes later caused panic in the Holbeach area as Billy Stubbs’s flick-on just eluded Wormall and Harper at the far post.

Holbeach increased their lead in the 69th minute when substitutes Danny Spencer and Lee Dube combined, the latter firing low past Hotchin from the edge of the area.

Dube’s second and Holbeach’s fourth arrived from a header two minutes later after another former Gingerbread, Gary King, crossed from the left.

Dube turned provider for the fifth goal, unselfishly squaring the ball for Jake Duffy to tap in with three minutes remaining.

Harrowby’s never say die attitude paid off a minute later when they grabbed a consolation goal through Hill. The Harrowby skipper got forward from midfield to head home a fine cross from the left by John Currall.

Harrowby United: Hotchin, Weatherstone, Clarke (Currall, 51), Stubbs, Whyley, Harper, Hill (c), Payne, Webb (Peberdy, 83), Wormall, Shaw. Subs not used: Atkinson, Mayes, Scothern.