Victory for Harrowby United in UCL Premier season opener

Harrowby United's man of the match was Scott Webb.
Harrowby United's man of the match was Scott Webb.
Have your say

United Counties League Premier Division

Harrowby United 2

Wellingborough Town 0

Harrowby United began their United Counties Premier Division campaign with a well deserved three points at the Environcom Stadium.

The Arrows started well and attacked from the off, passing the ball well and causing anxious moments in the ‘Doughboys’ penalty area. They went close to an opening goal after six minutes when a corner from the left was met by Jack Whyley who saw his headed effort hit the crossbar. Two minutes later, another corner, this time from the right, was glanced on by Whyley to fellow centre-back Billy Stubbs who was taken by surprise and failed to get enough on his header which flashed wide.

Harrowby went in front after 16 minutes when Harrowby man-of-the-match Scott Webb cut in from the left and found Simon Bolland just inside the penalty area. Bolland held off a challenge from Wellingborough captain Joe Rich before releasing the ball to Liam Harper who took a touch and then smashed the ball past a helpless Ashley Foulger in the visitors’ goal.

The lead was doubled after 25 minutes when yet another corner was headed out as far as Webb. Hise shot from around 25 yards took a deflection that helped the ball loop over Foulger and into the net.

On 36 minutes, a teasing ball across the six yard box from Webb led to a scramble at the far post which resulted in a snap shot from Harper that went just wide of the post.

The visitors’ closest effort of the half came five minutes before the break when Mark Pryer’s shot from just outside the box had Harrowby custodian Jack Drury scrambling across his goal and relieved to see the ball go just wide.

The second period saw Wellingborough up their tempo to try and force a way back into the game. The Harrowby defence, however, were more than up to the task and comfortably dealt with the pressure, restricting the visitors to efforts from distance and hopeful balls into the box.

On 57 minutes, a free kick deep into the Wellingborough defence was headed back across goal by Harper and just eluded Stubbs’s outstretched boot a couple of yards out.

Nine minutes past the hour mark, another free kick into the penalty area was headed out as far as Harper on the edge of the box. His volley went narrowly wide.

Two minutes later, a fine cross-field ball from Webb found Lee Shaw on the right. Shaw squared inside to Bolland who just delayed his shot long enough for a defender to deflect the ball behind for a corner.

A minute from time, Arrows right back Sam Weatherstone was slightly off target with a rising shot after getting forward to link up with the attack.

The game’s final chance came three minutes into stoppage time. A quick break out of defence saw substitute John Currall feed Shaw who galloped away before finding Luke Peberdy in the heart of the Wellingborough area. Peberdy’s first touch let him down slightly in controlling the ball, allowing Foulger time to get off his line and block the substitute’s shot.

Harrowby United: Drury, Weatherstone, Clarke, Stubbs, Whyley, Harper (Peberdy, 85), Hill (c), Bolland, Shaw, Ward (Currall, 79), Webb. Subs not used: Vorley, Warner, Hotchin.