Victory moves Harrowby United into promotion position

editorial image
Have your say

United Counties League

Division One

Blackstones FC 2

Harrowby United 4

Harrowby United took full advantage of Eynesbury Rovers’ postponed fixture to move above them into second position in the league after victory at Lincolnshire neighbours Blackstones.

The Arrows started the game brightly and could have been ahead as early as the third minute when Blackstones goalkeeper Lee Crockett flapped at a corner, succeeding in only palming to ball to Liam Harper who shot narrowly wide.

Harrowby’s Jack Drury needed to be alert after seven minutes when Stones striker Addy Staffeiri got in behind the Arrows back line, the keeper narrowing the angle and saving well with his legs.

A minute later, United took the lead when a through-ball from Lee Shaw put Simon Bolland through for a 50-50 challenge with keeper Crockett. The ball broke kindly to Scott Webb who was able to roll it into an empty net.

Harrowby continued to create chances and a dangerous free kick from Bobby Lee was inches away from being converted by a stretching Harper at the far post. Bolland shot into the side netting and Liam Jaques headed against the cross bar from a Harper cross.

The final action of the half brought a good save from Crockett after a great run and shot from Arrows man-of-the-match Jamie Preston, getting forward from left back.

Harrowby doubled their advantage 14 minutes into the second period when a great leap from Harper saw his header put Shaw through. With work still to be done, Shaw confidently rounded Crockett and slotted the ball home.

The lead was extended further six minutes later when a neat one-two between Lee and Bolland resulted in a scooped pass from the latter, creating an opening for Shaw who hit a sweet half volley past a helpless Crockett.

Blackstones to their credit did not fold and pulled a goal back on 71 one minutes. Harrowby failed to clear a corner allowing Staffeiri to gather the ball and fire home from 15 yards out.

A minute later it was game-on as a through-ball sent Staffeiri through to slot home his second of the game past an advancing Drury.

Straight from the restart Harrowby pushed forward, getting the ball through to Harper who was brought down in the area by Crockett. Referee Mr Henry immediately pointed to the penalty spot and John Currall stepped up to coolly slot the spot kick home for his first goal for the Arrows.

Harrowby saw out the remaining minutes of the game comfortably to record their 17th victory of the season

Harrowby United: Drury, Currall, Preston, Spence (Whyley, 83), Hill, Harper, Jaques, Bolland (c), Lee (Weatherstone, 76), Shaw, Webb (Peberdy, 57). Subs not used: Hotchin.