Squash squished by five-goal Buckminster

Have your say

Grantham & District Saturday League

Premier Division

Grantham Squash Club 0

Buckminster United 5

BUCKMINSTER went second in the table whilst completing their first league home and away double of the season.

On a shocker of a pitch, any sort of passing game was a difficult task, but a strong visiting side made the most of the situation, trying to move the ball out wide and into the channels, forcing the Squash Club to defend deep.

Following a few near misses early on, Buckminster finally took the lead on 25 minutes when an inch-perfect pass from skipper Martini allowed Jack Berry the room to beat the offside, and coolly lob the keeper from the edge of the area.

Early substitute Danny Moore wasted little time getting in on the action, making a number of chances for his team mates, only for the opportunities to go begging.

In the second half, Buckminster were again the stronger but the home side defended resiliently.

Second substitute Darren Parker scored with his first touch, a left-foot volley from six yards, courtesy of a Danny Moore flick. The second goal spurred Buckminster into action and within five minutes Parker had added his second, before a Colin Howe tap-in from two yards extended the lead.

With further chances going amiss, man of the match Simon Hollingworth completed the scoring late on with a fine left foot volley following another Martini pinpoint corner.

Buckminster: Allen, C. Moore, Martini, S. Hollingworth, Chambers, Cummings, Howe, Wilson, Jaques, Chappell, Berry. Subs: D. Moore, Parker.

Ruskington Rovers 1

Beehive United 4

BEEHIVE made the trip to Ruskington in their biggest match of the season so far against the pre-season favourites.

With Beehive undefeated and Ruskington only suffering one loss, something had to give and United started the game with some intent, attacking Rovers with menace down both flanks.

With great link-up play between Reidy and Walker, Beehive’s opener finally came when the former’s cool finish beat the Rovers keeper.

Ruskington got back into the game towards the end of the first half and equalised through an unstoppable Lee Llewellyn shot from 30 yards.

Rovers dominated the first 25 minutes of the second half but Beehive skipper Breden and his back four stood firm.

The pivotal moment in the match saw Rovers go down to 10 men following a foul on last man Towle. Harper soon took advantage to put United ahead again when he lobbed the keeper.

Beehive began to dominate and Sam Hill stooped low to score from a header after a Breden flick-on.

Payne unleased a 25yd shot into the top corner following fine play from man of the match Dan Reidy to seal the win.

Culverthorpe Cup

Second round

Bottesford Reserves 0

Buckminster United 6

BUCKMINSTER began their defence of the Culverthorpe Cup with a comfortable win against a very young Bottesford side.

Bottesford started the stronger and their crisp passing game looked well beyond their youthful years, but in the final third the visiting defence of Chambers, Greenfield and skipper Martini were in fine form.

As Buckminster found their feet, Craig Wilson opened the scoring with an absolute beauty, controlling a 30yd pass from Martini on the edge of the 18yd box and, with his back to goal, flicked the ball above his head and launched an overhead kick into the top corner of the net.

The goal spurred the visitors on and a neat move fell to Liam Jaques on the edge of the area and his left-foot effort found the bottom corner.

Veteran Craig Moore scored the third when a sublime through-ball from Howe found Craig in space to nonchalantly lob the keeper from 15 yards.

Wilson and Chappell were guilty of not adding to the first half tally, choosing to shoot from tight angles and missing the target.

The second half was all about damage limitation for the home side, but to their credit they never gave up and the keeper in particular was outstanding in preventing a rout.

Substitutes Danny Moore and Ian Hollingworth should have done better with close range efforts, before the evergreen Colin Howe turned a Martin corner into the net from six yards.

Danny Moore made it five with another tap-in, again from a Martini corner, and Ian Hollingworth made amends for his earlier miss to complete the scoring when firing into the roof of the net from close range.

Man of the match was Wayne Martini.

Buckminster: Allen, Greenfield, Martini, S. Hollingworth, Chambers, Wilson, Howe, C. Moore, Jaques, Chappell, Berry. Subs: D. Moore, Fyfe, I. Hollingworth.

Grantham & District Sunday League

Division One

Long Bennington 0

Ropsley 5

ROPSLEY rose to fourth in the league following a comfortable win over an under-strength Long Bennington side, thanks in no small part to a hat trick from centre-forward Richard Healey.

Healey put Ropsley into an early lead when a solid shot from strike partner Tom Parrish was parried into his path by the excellent Bennington keeper for a simple finish.

Healey made it two midway through the half when an excellent team move sent Chris Carr away down the right. His pull-back was tucked into the back of the net.

The visitors made it three when a precision free kick from the centre spot was expertly pulled out of the air by Tom Hill who spun to fire low into the bottom corner from just inside the area.

The second half kicked off and Healey wasted no time in completing his hat trick, latching on to another Carr centre before spinning to finish low into the bottom corner.

Parrish grabbed the final goal from close range after Long Bennington’s stopper and man-of-the-match made another fine save from Ropsley’s own man-of-the-match Healey.

In a game which was far from ill-tempered, there were five bookings in all with Ropsley’s Carr, Healey and Neil Graham all receiving yellow cards.

Colsterworth United 1

Railway Club 6

IN this clash of third and fourth place, the Railway thought they would be in for a tough game, but all that was forgotten when, inside the first 10 minutes, top goalscorer Marshall claimed his first of the game after a sublime through-ball from strike partner Wyles.

With constant pressure on the Colsterworth goal, Railway soon added a second when Wyles headed in from close range after good work from man of the match Weatherstone and Redford. Redford headed Railway’s third after Wyles had a shot saved by the keeper.

Colsterworth started brightly in the second half but never really threatened the Railway goal, with Parker and Blanchard forming a strong line of defence. Railway started to come back into the game, with Aust trying everything he could to score, but he was denied by the United keeper.

Marshall added Railway’s fourth, slotting home after substitute Turner’s effort came back off the bar. Railway continued to pile the pressure on and scored a fifth with a diving Turner header from a Weatherstone cross.

Adamson completed the rout with an unstoppable shot and United scored a consolation goal from the spot.

Railway: Atter, Clement-sutcliffe, Redford, Withers, Parker, Blanchard, Weatherstone, Aust (C), Wyles, Marshall, Tyler. Subs: Marshall, Turner, Adamson, Dodwell.

Knockout Cup

First round

Lord Harrowby 2

Griff Inn 1

LORD Harrowby extended their good league form to the cup but the home side went a goal down in the first half after sloppy defending from a corner.

Lord harrowby came out after the break and scored straight away with a nice cool finish from James Loveridge. Gav Atkinson scored from a cross that amazingly lobbed the Griff keeper.

The Lord could have had thre or four in the second half but one-on-ones were missed.

Lord Harrowby’s man of the match was Michael Nash.