UPDATED FULL REPORT: Grantham Town return to winning ways at Nantwich

An open training day will be held for Sleaford Town Junior FC on Saturday, October 22
An open training day will be held for Sleaford Town Junior FC on Saturday, October 22
Have your say

Northern Premier League

Premier Division

Nantwich Town 0

Grantham Town 3

The Gingerbreads got back into the winning routine on Tuesday night despite missing midfielders Jack McGovern and Ben Fairclough, with Michael Towey also not 100 per cent fit.

Grantham forced a couple of corners early on and could have taken the lead, but Steve James in the Nantwich goal showed his commanding presence in catching both crosses that came into his area.

Nantwich’s first chance of the game came on seven minutes when Harry Clayton broke through on goal, but the winger could only force a corner.

Grantham keeper Dan Haystead was kept busy by the home side with Andy White dipping a volley over the bar from 35 yards.

Haystead did well to punch clear a free kick from Steve Jones, with Grantham clearing the corner comfortably.

After soaking up the Nantwich pressure, Grantham took the lead on 17 minutes. Sam Wilson’s clearance fell to Connor Johnson who hit a superb shot high into the net for his first goal for the Gingerbreads.

For the second time this season and the second consecutive week for Nantwich, an injury to an official held the game up. After a quarter of an hour delay, a replacement was found and the game restarted at a frantic pace.

Aaron Burns hit a long range effort late in the first half to draw another save from Haystead.

Five minutes into the second half, the Gingerbreads goalkeeper was indebted to Sam Purcicoe when Burns got in again. He took the ball around Haystead but Purcicoe covered back well to clear.

As the game went on, Grantham began to get on top. Jordan Hempenstall managed to get on to a clearance from Nantwich defender Adam Jones, but his shot was well saved by James.

On 70 minutes, Grantham doubled their lead when Laurie Wilson went down the wing and found Alex Simmons. He beat two Nantwich players and fired home.

Wilson made the game safe seven minutes later. Adam Jones gave away a free kick which Wilson hit from 35 yards out and it went in off the bottom of the post.

The same player could have added to the Gingerbreads tally in the first minute of injury time when a short corner found him on the edge of the penalty area, but he fired wide.

Grantham Town: Haystead, Purcicoe, Matthews, Meikle, Watt (c), Wilson, Lewis, Johnson, Simmons, Smith, Hempensall. Subs: Batchelor, Turner, Steede, Towey, Rawden.

Att: 193.