UPDATED FULL REPORT: Grantham Town share the points at Kings Lynn

Grantham's Paul Lister battles it out with Kings Lynn player Sam Mulready. Photo: Tim Smith
Grantham's Paul Lister battles it out with Kings Lynn player Sam Mulready. Photo: Tim Smith
Have your say

Northern Premier League

Premier Division

Kings Lynn Town 1

Grantham Town 1

The Gingerbreads made a few changes to their side due to the return of Rhys Lewis, injury to Adie Hawes and the absence of Kallum Keane. With a better first half performance than Saturday and greater confidence in the second, Grantham earned themselves a point.

The home side started brightly with an early chance for Steve Spriggs saved well by Dan Haystead and Dan Jacob’s follow-up cleared off the line by an alert Gingerbreads back line. Grantham hit back almost immediately with home goalkeeper Danny Gay was forced into a save to deny a lively Jamie McGhee.

Grantham were left chasing the game after Kings Lynn took the lead on 15 minutes. Ryan Clarke made a run into the box and his cut-back found George Thomson who rifled home a crisp effort from 12 yards.

Grantham showed they were no pushovers and two minutes later Gay produced a fingertip save to deny Dion Meikle’s header. Kings Lynn’s quick passing game was countered by a more direct style from the visitors as they tried to restore parity.

Ten minutes before half time, play was delayed for some time following a clash of heads between Gay and Grantham striker Greg Smith. The home keeper came off worse but was able to continue thanks to a few bandages, later having four stitches.

Greg Smith continued to give the home side a tough test and a few minutes later, the home side had to rearrange their midfield. Gary Mills had run things for the home side, sitting in front of their back four and breaking play up, but after a challenge from Smith he had to leave the field.

There were late chances at both ends. For the home side, Spriggs fired narrowly when he was set up by Dan Quigley. At the other end, Jordan Yong had to come to the rescue of King’s Lynn to block Romaine Graham’s effort. The same player then fizzed a long range effort past the frame of Haystead’s goal in a opened ended first half.

It did not take long after the break for Grantham to level the game. The Gingerbreads needed just five second-half minutes to get on the scoresheet. Greg Smith won a header inside the home penalty area that hit Kings Lynn’s Jason Lee and then the back of the net, beating the wrong-footed Gay.

Grantham showed more confidence in their play in the second half and won more possession in the centre of the park to stop the home side’s quickfire passing game. The second half did not match the excitement of the first and it was the visitors who had the better of the chances.

As the Gingerbreads looked more likely to take all three points, McGhee had a couple of shots blocked by the home defence. McGhee was then frustrated by Gay as he made a double save to keep scores level. King’sLynn and former Grantham defender Ryan Clarke was particularly impressive in keeping Grantham out.

Lynn had their moments and kept the Grantham defence alert until the end. Gerge Thomson went close to a second for the home side with a curling effort. The same player shot wide with 10 minutes remaining, and both Shane Tolley and Sam Mulready had late half-chances, but could not make anything of them.

Grantham Town: Haystead, Purcicoe, Ridley, Meikle, Lister, Lewis (Pilliero, 45), McGhee, Towey, G. Smith (K. Smith, 71), Graham, Watson (King, 71) Subs not used: Meakin, Turner. Att: 670.