Victory snatched from Town’s grasp in the dying seconds

Have your say

Evo-Stik Northern Premier League

Division One South

Grantham Town 1

Brigg Town 1

GRANTHAM saw a deserved three points snatched away at the Meres on Monday in a game the home side dominated for large periods.

The home side were made to rue a string of missed chances as Brigg hit back in stoppage time.

Co-manager Jimmy Albans said: “We threw away two points today. We created enough chances for the game to have been over at half-time.

“We dominated the game from the first minute and should have won it.”

The Gingerbreads, fresh from a cracking 5-0 win away to Quorn, were a little slow to get going and could have fallen behind in the opening seconds when Sam Purcicoe’s attempted clearance in his own box hit nothing but air, allowing Brigg target man Bruno Holden a one-on-one chance from 12 yards. Fortunately for Purcicoe, the shot hit the outside of the post.

But Grantham were soon creating some good chances of their own with Rhys Lewis going close from distance

On 15 minutes Grantham should have taken the lead when the Saunders brothers combined.

Defender Sam Saunders drilled over an incredible half-volleyed cross from just inside the Brigg half on the left flank. Brother Ben peeled away from his man at the back post but could not place his header either side of the Brigg stopper who pushed the ball over the bar.

Tris Whitman went close from a well worked move before Lee Potts saw his in-swinging corner beat everyone only to strike the far post and bounce to safety.

Grantham eventually got the breakthrough on 37 minutes thanks to the always lively Tris Whitman.

Whitman was sent through thanks to an excellent through ball by Ben Saunders. Racing onto the ball, Whitman seemed to have gone too wide but managed to thump his shot low and hard, beating the keeper for pace to put Grantham ahead.

Within minutes of the restart, Whitman was put through once more but was unable to show the same composure and scuffed his shot wide at the near post.

Saunders almost had a cheap goal on 54 minutes when he chased down a long ball which had the Brigg keeper hesitating. Saunders was able to block the clearance but injured himself in the process and, with the ball bouncing goalwards, he was unable to take advantage.

On 69 minutes, Grantham created the best move of the game. Gio Carchedi combined Rhys Lewis before Sam Purcicoe crossed for Ben Saunders to head wide.

On 75 minutes another great chance went begging when Whitman was once more sent through. Again, he failed to get a clean contact and pulled his shot wide.

In the 82nd minute Brigg were lucky to keep 11 men on the pitch when Rhys Lewis committed an innocuous foul and appeared to be elbowed in the face - directly in front of the referee. The ref quickly signalled to the bench that Lewis would need treatment for a bloody nose but no action was taken against the Brigg player.

With Grantham seemingly heading for a second consecutive win, Brigg were awarded a free-kick out wide. The ball was whipped in and Michael Smith lost his marker to head home past Rob Murray to snatch a point.

Co-manager Jimmy Albans said: “We have got to be more clinical in front of goal. It is costing us game after game.

“We haven’t come up against anyone better than we are this season, yet five teams have taken points off us.”

Grantham Town: Murray, Purcicoe, Potts, Brindley, Saunders, Watt, Lewis, Ball, Whitman (McGhee, 80), B. Saunders, Carchedi (Norris, 80). Subs not used: Asher, Glass, O’Rafferty.