VIDEO: Grantham Town 0 Coalville Town 0

Share this article
Have your say

Evo-Stik Northern Premier League

Division One South

Grantham Town 0

Coalville Town 0

THE match kicked off under a rainbow but there was no pot of gold at the end of it for either side.

Grantham and Coalville shared the points in a goalless draw and probably the least inspiring football match seen at The Meres this season.

The scrappy affair began slowly and never really gained pace. Grantham had a couple of early chances through Paul Grimes and Gio Carchedi, but neither could control their shots.

Coalville went closer still in the 13th minute. Anthony Carney curled a shot towards the Grantham goal. Keeper Rob Murray confidently did not react but the ball swung in a little too close for comfort and just went wide of the far post.

With little shape to the game as a whole, both sides struggled to put anything meaningful together, with the ball batted about like a ping-pong ball. Coalville had a couple of half-chances from corner kicks on the half hour mark, but Murray plucked the first from the air and skipper Ben Saunders headed the opposition’s captain Stuart Cameron’s flag kick from danger.

Coalville keeper Sean bowles managed to hold on to Sam Purcicoe’s 38th minute thumper and at the other end, Cameron blasted his free kick into the the Gingerbreads’ wall.

Grimes fired off target in the 40th minute and the last action of the first half saw Murray save well from another Cameron free kick which this time flew over the top of the Grantham wall.

The lack of spectacle continued seamlessly into the second half, with the two sides continuing to nullify each other after the break.

A minute into the second period, Ben Saunders found himself through clear on goal, but miskicked comicly to the frustration of the assembled Grantham support.

Carchedi tried his luck from 25 yards in the 51st minute but was way off the mark, and two minutes later Lee Potts collected a good ball from Ben Saunders but took too long to tee up his shot and was promptly dispossessed.

Bowles was first to a good Grimes cross, denying the rising Ben Saunders the chance of a close range header. Martin Ball really got hold of his 25yd shot on the hour mark and Bowles had to tip the ball over his bar. Grimes fired his 75th minute free kick into the Coalville wall.

Potts swung in a long free kick from the sideline which forced a Coalville defender to head from danger, but the ball came back off the crossbar to Ben Saunders, but he nodded wide of the goal.

The Gingerbreads were reduced to 10 men with five minutes remaining, with Ball receiving a red card for retaliation after he was elbowed by Karl Demidh.

There was a final flurry of activity as the game went into added time. Substitute Jamie McGhee supplied a squared ball to Grimes whose reaction shot went straight to the Coalville keeper. McGhee’s 94th minute corner kick was punched out to Sam Saunders whose lob forced Bowles to tip over the bar. Bowles punched the resulting corner kick clear before referee Mr Smedley blew the final whistle.

Grantham Town: Murray, Puricoe, Potts (Magee, 90), Brindley, S. Saunders, Watt, Lewis, Ball, Grimes, B. Saunders, Carchedi (McGhee, 75). Subs not used: Battersby, Cann, Jacklin. Att: 332.