Home   Sport   Article

Gingerbreads crumble as winning run is emphatically ended

Grantham Town’s run of four consecutive wins was emphatically brought to an end with a 4-0 defeat at Rushall Olympic on Tuesday night.

The loss was compounded for the Gingerbreads by both Sam Purcicoe and Ben Saunders having to be substituted because of injury at Dales Lane.

Grantham had not played for 10 days following the postponement of Saturday’s scheduled trip to Colwyn Bay being postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.

And they were soon on the back foot against mid-table Rushall Olympic.

The West Midlands hosts, who had lost just twice at home this season, took the lead through their top scorer Luke Benbow, the striker unleashing a right foot shot which flew into the roof of the net from 25 yards out.

It was a lacklustre opening half-hour from the visitors and they struggled to break down the Rushall defence inn their quest to get back into the game.

On one of the few occasions Grantham advanced into the attacking third they had the ball in the net but the officials judged there to be an offside in the build-up.

Lee Shaw had a couple of chances to level the scoreline just before the half-time break.

The first saw him struggle to convert from six yards out and the second was cleared off the line by Caines.

Benbow, in hot pursuit of the league’s top scorer Scott Spencer, was a constant threat to the Gingerbreads’ defence.

And he almost scored again early in the second half only for his effort to be narrowly deflected wide of goal.

Benbow did eventually notch his second goal of the game to go joint top of the goal scoring charts in Evo Stik Northern Premier League premier division.

Ryan Swift vacated his penalty box to sweep up behind his Grantham defence but the goalkeeper’s poor clearance left him out of position and concluded with a easy tap in for Benbow.

On the hour mark it was 3-0.

Swift palmed a free kick into the danger area and Alex Reid was first to react to effectively seal victory for the home side.

Rushall gained confidence and began to dictate proceedings as the second half wore on.

Swift prevented Benbow from completing his hat-trick on more than one occasion but was beaten again by Reid in the 85th minute.

This defeat leaves the Gingerbreads 17th in the league standings and manager Adam Stevens will be looking a for an upturn in results when they face another Midlands-based team this Saturday at home to Halesowen Town.


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More