Home   Sport   Article

GOLF: Stoke Rochford seniors celebrate 30th anniversary

The winning team, from left ' Peter Smith (Radcliffe), Mike Nixon (Stoke), Joe Lindley, Graham Manton (Stoke) and B.Whitchurch (Radcliffe).
The winning team, from left ' Peter Smith (Radcliffe), Mike Nixon (Stoke), Joe Lindley, Graham Manton (Stoke) and B.Whitchurch (Radcliffe).

Stoke Rochford seniors’ first ever match was at home against Radcliffe on Trent in 1986 – since then Stoke seniors have played 881 matches.

To celebrate the 30th anniversary, Stoke Seniors were joined by Radcliffe seniors to play an Am-Am competition in teams made up of two from each club. Seventy-two seniors competed including Stoke club captain Jeff Purdy.

Radcliffe seniors captain Steve Bostock (right) presents the 'Friendship' Plate to Graham Manton, the Stoke seniors captain.
Radcliffe seniors captain Steve Bostock (right) presents the 'Friendship' Plate to Graham Manton, the Stoke seniors captain.

The three leading teams all finished with 88 points and countback was necessary to establish the winners who were seniors captain Graham Manton and Mike Nixon of Stoke, playing with Peter Smith and B. Whitchurch of Radcliffe. Runners-up were Brian Ayto and Mike Graves, with J. Jewitt and S. Balodis, whilst Steve Major and Charles Scott with G. McKellar and E. Maxwell were third. Nearest the pin on the 12th won a £50 prize for Gary Skerritt (Stoke).

Prizes were presented by 88-year-old Joe Lindley, the only surviving member of the Stoke team who played in that first match, and he still often plays a few holes.

The day was completed by Radcliffe presenting Stoke with an engraved ‘Friendship’ salver to mark the occasion, and to be competed for in future matches between the two clubs.


Sudbrook Moor's Elsham Trophy team, from left - Simon Pullen, Martin Corby, Simon Green, Michael Green, Team Captain Bruce MacFarlane and Nigel Corby.
Sudbrook Moor's Elsham Trophy team, from left - Simon Pullen, Martin Corby, Simon Green, Michael Green, Team Captain Bruce MacFarlane and Nigel Corby.

C Team

Dick Short captained the Belton Park team at The Nottinghamshire last Wednesday in the absence of team captain Tony Davies.

After the match, Dick thanked the Notts captain Brian Wigley for the warm welcome they had been given and congratulated them on their narrow victory by 3½ rubbers to 2½.

Belton Park’s Steve Mitchell and Richard Claxton took the honours as top pair in match by winning 6&5.

Results (Belton names first): Andrew Hounsfield and Dick Short lost to Brian Wigley and Clive Bevan 2&1, Steve Mitchell and Richard Claxton beat Brian Marshall and Dave Simpson 6&5, John Cooke and Ian Carroll lost to Vince Townley-Moss and Chris Curzon 2&1, Paul Woods and Colin Mason lost to Alan Stokes and Jamie Voss 4&3, Andrew Macgowan and Nigel Strutt halved with Graham Chambers and David Rose, Roy Allen and Martin Neal beat Steve Black and Keith Harris 3&1.


Belton Park seniors welcomed the team from Stanton on the Wolds last Tuesday.

The welcome was much warmer than the weather gods offered, with high winds and drizzle making for very difficult conditions over the Ancaster Course.

The competition was almost as fierce as the weather with four of the games being decided by a single hole, but in the end the Belton team managed to make home advantage count, coming out victors 5&3. There were wins on the day for the pairings of Steve Calvert and Dave Dobney, Graham Secker and George Crowford, Manny Barker and Trevor Collis, Bill Brogan and Keith Brown, and Ken Mail and Dave Langley.

After a shaky start to the year, the senior team has recorded five successive victories at home whilst losing only two matches away.


Belton Woods represented by Darren Woods, Matt Haynes and Josh Stevens travelled away to Kirton Holme, Boston, to compete in the first round of the Bramley competition.

Kirton Holme is an extremely friendly and well kept nine hole golf course, played twice and always proves a test to all visitors

Played as a matchplay singles format, a great result was achieved with a Belton Woods 2½-½ win.

In the second round, Belton Woods were again on their travels with a visit to Torksey Golf Club, near Gainsborough

Again, the same three players after some great games of golf returned home victorious after a 2-1 win

They will now yet again be away in the third round at South Kime Golf Club, another tricky nine hole course.

The Men’s Individual Medal took place on Sunday morning in glorious weather. Played from on the White tees and with the course having been primed and pampered, the fairways and greens were pristine and there were no excuses for good golf to be played.

Results: Division One – 1 Darren Woods nett 69, 2 William Tansley 70, 3 John Harrison 70; Division Two – 1 Nathan Smith 67, 2 Robert Connelly 68, 3 Grant Beck 71.

Mixed friendly

Last Sunday afternoon, Belton Woods welcomed Forest Pines, Scunthorpe, for the 10th annual clash.

Played on an alternate home and away basis, eight groups play in a matchplay format.

Belton Woods were hoping to make the great course, home advantage and weather conditions play in their favour, as for three years now Forest Pines have retained the trophy.

And so it was, after a great meal and a couple of glasses of wine they managed to prise very reluctantly from the Forest Pines captain’s hands the trophy after Belton Woods won 5&3.

A massive thank you goes to Julie White who not only organised another great day, but also carried her husband around the course and, according to he,r won their game single handed, and to all players from both Belton Woods and Forest Pines for this really enjoyable day.


The Elsham Trophy is an annual Lincolnshire Matchplay Knockout, open to all county golf clubs. The format is tough with a six-man team, off scratch, playing Foursomes – a pairs’ event with alternate drives and alternate shots.

A sudden-death play-off of two extra holes brought Sudbrook Moor through the first round to meet Cleethorpes Golf Club at home.

Father and son duo, Nigel and Martin Corby, played first pair and were up in their match until the 14th, 15th and 16th, but managed, what turned out to be, a vital halved hole on the 18th to lose their match 1 down.

Team captain Bruce MacFarlane and his seasoned vice-captain Simon Green looked confident and strong all the way through, and won with a very positive 2 up result.

Simon Pullen and Michael Green in the final tie, brought with it its own last minute drama as a penalty shot on the 17th hole, put far more pressure on the outcome of the 18th. With Simon to drive the hole and Michael’s fine second shot, the putt-out with the opponents brought them the essential Tie All Square, with Michael’s superb solid final putt.

So, the three results brought the overall 54 hole outcome to a 1 up victory for Sudbrook Moor and, for the first time in the club’s history, a place in the third round.

As the only Grantham area club into the final eight, Sudbrook Moor will travel to Waltham Windmill Golf Club, Grimsby, in the middle of June.


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More