Home   Sport   Article

Harrowby United battle out goalless draw in blustery conditions

An open training day will be held for Sleaford Town Junior FC on Saturday, October 22
An open training day will be held for Sleaford Town Junior FC on Saturday, October 22

United Counties League

Premier Division

Harrowby United 0

Cogenhoe United 0

Harrowby United entertained their visitors from Northamptonshire on an extremely blustery afternoon at the Environcom Stadium.

Conditions made it difficult early on as both sides’ midfields struggled to get the ball down and play in a swirling wind. The first chance of the game after 10 minutes fell for Scott Webb whose shot from distance was always rising and cleared the crossbar.

On 23 minutes, a Webb corner found its way to Lewis Watson at the far post and his downward header was scrambled off the line. Then on the half hour mark, Cogenhoe swung a dangerous ball into the Arrows penalty area and Jack Whyley was relieved to see his clearing header hit the top of the bar and go behind for a corner.

Another Harrowby corner after 39 minutes was well met by Billy Stubbs whose header was tipped over the bar superbly by ‘Cooks’ keeper Josh Thompson, making his debut for the visitors.

Two minutes from the break, Thompson’s opposite number Jack Drury was called into action, getting down well to save a rasping shot from the edge of the area.

The second period was more of the same. Although not the most fluent of games, both teams’ endeavour and commitment made for a good contest that could always have gone either way.

On the hour mark, Stubbs headed over from a deep free kick into the Cogenhoe box. Just a minute later at the other end, a Karl Bates shot came back off an upright and as Dan Thomason looked to tuck home the rebound, Whyley slid in with a superb tackle to block the shot, with John Currall tidying up the loose ball to clear the danger.

An upright again denied the Cooks in the 78th minute, substitute Chris Davies being the unlucky player this time.

Harrowby had a golden opportunity to win it five minutes from time. Good work from substitute Liam Motson saw him surge into the Cogenhoe area before passing to Ryan Holland who, with just the keeper to beat, placed his shot too close to Thompson who made the save to keep his side on even terms.

The remaining time was played out with the visitors finishing strongly and earning a couple of free kicks in dangerous positions just outside the Arrows penalty area, both of which were fired at goal but failed to trouble Drury.

Harrowby United’s man of the match was Joe Clarke.

Harrowby United: Drury (c), Currall, Clarke, Stubbs, Whyley, Webb (Peberdy, 86), Hill, Bolland, Watson (Harper, 62), Potts (Motson, 67), Holland. Subs not used: Moore, Hotchin.


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More