Home   Sport   Article

Harrowby United lose to Oadby after taking the lead

Harrowby number nine Luke Parsons heads home United's goal. Photo: Craig Whyley
Harrowby number nine Luke Parsons heads home United's goal. Photo: Craig Whyley

United Counties League

Premier Division

Harrowby United 1

Oadby Town 3

Oadby Town travelled from Leicestershire to the Environcom Stadium and avenged a defeat by the Arrows just three weeks previously.

A depleted Harrowby side featured not a single forward in the starting 11 due to injuries and unavailability. Despite this, the Arrows started well and, controlling the early exchanges, they went ahead in the 11th minute.

A deflected shot from Rick Brewer gave Harrowby a corner on the left which was whipped into the box and met by a powerful header from makeshift striker Luke Parsons. The ball flew into the net, giving the Poachers custodian Elliot Taylor no chance.

Harrowby continued to look the most likely team to add to the game’s goal tally, in terms of possession and territorial advantage, but were held at bay by some resolute Oadby defending.

Just a couple of minutes before the break, arguably the game’s most influential player up to that point, Harrowby’s central midfielder Jack Beckett came off second best in a 50-50 challenge in midfield and was forced to leave the field with an ankle injury, replaced by substitute Sam Weatherstone.

The last action of the half saw Arrows keeper Jonny Hotson save low at his left hand post from a shot by Ollie Brown-Hill.

It was a different game in the second half as Oadby grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck and completely turned it on its head. Harrowby squandered possession in midfield in the 54th minute and Oadby quickly moved the ball up to Louis Hamilton whose shot was well blocked by Billy Stubbs.

It was no surprise when the equaliser arrived two minutes later. Hamilton again found himself a bit of room on the left side of the penalty area and this time curled a delightful right foot shot which hit the inside of the far post on its way into the net, giving Hotson no chance.

Oadby went in front in the 58th minute when Simon Bolland conceded a silly free kick on the edge of the Arrows box. New signing Jurrell Phillip stepped up to fire in the free kick which hit the end of the Harrowby wall and deflected the ball away from Hotson and into the net.

Harrowby struggled to create openings to get back into the game and Oadby always looked the more likely to score.

The visitors added a third goal in the final minute of the game when John Currall hesitated in clearing from his own penalty area and was robbed of the ball by Brown-Hill. Olly Dyson in trying to win it back felled the Oadby striker and conceded a penalty kick.

Brown-Hill picked himself up to slot home the spot kick and compound a miserable second half for the Arrows, and collect the three points for his side which lifted them out of the bottom three.

Harrowby United: Hotson, Currall, Brewer, Whyley, Stubbs (c), Dyson, Bolland, Beckett (Weatherstone, 43), Harper (Fraser, 75), Martin, Parsons.

l Harrowby are away at Harborough Town on Saturday, followed by a home game againsts high fliers Leicester Nirvana on Wednesday.


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More