Home   Sport   Article

Harrowby United outplayed in every department

Harrowby United's Luke Parsons rises highest in the Harborough box. Photo: Craig Whyley
Harrowby United's Luke Parsons rises highest in the Harborough box. Photo: Craig Whyley

United Counties League

Premier Division

Harborough Town 2

Harrowby United 0

Harrowby United’s ‘bad day at the office’ continued with an abject performance at Bowdens Park, home of Harborough Town.

On a difficult, boggy surface, Harrowby were outplayed in every department. Playing with a strong wind in the first half, the Arrows failed to use it to any advantage as the home side always looked the more dangerous.

As early as the sixth minute, the Bees’ Harry May shot from the right edge of the penalty area only to see the ball rebound to safety off the base of a post.

Harrowby responded and Liam Harper created a shooting chance for Callum Wilkinson whose tame shot drifted wide of the goal. Harper shot over the crossbar in the 14th minute from a loose ball following a long throw from Ian Hillier.

In the 24th minute, Harrowby’s man of the match, custodian Jonny Hotson, made the first of many good saves, denying Alex McMillan with an out tretched leg at the foot of his near post. A minute later, a move down the left from Harborough ended with a goalbound effort excellently headed away by Arrows defender Luke Parsons.

Harrowby forced a save from Bees keeper George Lawton after 34 minutes when he got down well to keep out a low drive from Simon Bolland.

Arrows left back Rick Brewer earned a caution in the 37th minute when, caught for pace, he gave away a free kick on the edge of the box. Hotson got down well to save the resultant free kick.

In the 40th minute, Lawton saved well from Harper as the Arrows midfielder connected well with a cleared corner only to see the home keeper turn the ball over the bar. The following corner was headed into the side netting from an acute angle by Jack Whyley.

The second half was all Harborough as the Arrows, after trying various formation changes during the game, still failed to find any rhythm.

The opening goal came from the penalty spot when a rash challenge from Whyley around the penalty spot area saw him get a foot on the ball, only for it to strike his hand on the follow through. Referee Mr Glazewzki pointed to the spot and Ben Williams stepped up to smash home the penalty kick.

Harrowby failed to respond and fell further behind 10 minutes later when the dominant Harborough midfield again won the ball and fed the ball out to the left. It was moved quickly inside to Barnes Gladman who, with space in the penalty area, controlled the ball before firing home low inside the right hand post past a helpless Hotson.

A couple of saves from man of the match Hotson and a superb goal-line clearance from Billy Stubbs from a shot by May kept the margin to two. The worrying factor from Harowby’s point of view was that there was only a solitary Stubbs shot over the bar in a dismal second half that saw the home side take the points at a canter.

Harrowby United: Hotson, Bolland (Dunn, 78), Brewer, Whyley (Pearce, 57), Stubbs (c), Parsons, Hillier, Harper, Heap (Currall, 55), Wilkinson, Webb.


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More