Home   Sport   Article

Late comeback seals victory for Harrowby in a nine-goal thriller

Declan Carr.
Declan Carr.

United Counties League Premier Division

Peterborough Northern Star 4

Harrowby United 5

Harrowby United picked up a hard-earned three points on the road, completing a home and away double against Northern Star on an evening of high drama at their Chesnut Avenue home.

PNS made a lively start to Tuesday’s game, dominating the early stages. So it was no surprise when they took the lead in the sixth minute as a corner was met by an unchallenged header from Harry Fitzjohn.

The home side continued to hold the upper hand and Craig Smith fired a low shot just past the left-hand post.

After 15 minutes, Star doubled their lead when a long ball in behind the Arrows’ defence was picked up by Jacob Joyce who drilled a shot from an acute angle across keeper Jonny Hotson just inside the far post.

Harrowby pulled a goal back against the run of play when a corner from Scott Webb was headed goalwards by Simon Bolland, bringing a fine save from Star keeper Dan George.

A second effort was blocked before Sam Hill reacted well in the ensuing scramble to direct a third effort towards goal which was knocked home by skipper Billy Stubbs’ knee from a yard out.

Three minutes later the Arrows swicthed off and paid the price as Smith drove a low shot past a helpless Hotson.

Harrowby began the second half with much more purpose and finally started to force Star onto the back foot.

A run down the left from Sam Weatherstone resulted in him providing a shooting chance for Declan Carr, which was well blocked.

The revitalised Arrows reduced the deficit in the 52nd minute when Carr latched onto a ball over the Star defence. As Carr prepared to shoot, he was brought down by Luke Smith, who received a red card.

Webb stepped up and confidently stroked the penalty home.

Five minutes later PNS restored their two-goal cushion, a nice through ball from Hayden Bream allowing Craig Smith to get in behind the Arrows’ defence, hold off Stubbs and slot home.

Harrowby heads didn’t drop and, looking to make their numerical advantage count, took the game to the home side.

They reduced the deficit again in the 72nd minute when Bolland got on the end of a teasing cross from the right by Webb. The midfielder stole in at the far post to force the ball into the net.

The game was turned on its head in the 84th minute when more pressure from Harrowby saw another cross into the box headed out only as far as Carr.

His wayward shot was headed goalwards by Hill who was denied by Craig Smith who tipped the ball over the cross bar.

This resulted in a second spot kick and a second red card, Webb keeping his composure to fire the penalty home and level the scores.

Harrowby continued to push and a good cross from the right from substitute Jason Coverley, making his Arrow’s debut, found Webb who shot narrowly over the bar.

The turnaround was complete in the third minute of stoppage time when a hopeful ball forward was cleared only as far as George Stainfield on the edge of the box, his shot nestling in the right-hand corner of the net.

Man Of The Match: Declan Carr.

Harrowby: Hotson, Currall, Watson, Brewer, Stubbs, Weatherstone (Coverley 68), Hill, Stainfield, Bolland, Carr, Webb; Subs (not used): Bland, Raistrick.


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More