Home   Sport   Article

Missed chances proving costly for Gingerbreads

Grantham were beaten 1-0 at home by Buxton on Tuesday evening. Photos: Toby Roberts.
Grantham were beaten 1-0 at home by Buxton on Tuesday evening. Photos: Toby Roberts.

Northern Premier League

Division One (South)

The Gingerbreads go on the attack.
The Gingerbreads go on the attack.

Grantham Town 0

Buxton 1

Grantham Town were left rueing wasted chances as they ended their contest against Buxton on the wrong side of a 1-0 scoreline.

Throughout Tuesday’s contest the Gingerbreads created a series of goalscoring opportunities, but one after the other they went begging.

Jake Turner collects the ball.
Jake Turner collects the ball.

The Evo-Stik Northern Premier League Division One (South) contest - Grantham’s first home game of the new campaign - was settled seconds before the half-time whistle.

Former Rotherham and Boston United winger Nicky Walker popped up to find the net and ensure it was the Bucks who claimed the three points.

The result leaves Town still searching for their first win of the campaign.

Northern Premier League

Division One (South)

Skelmersdale United 1

Grantham Town 1

Curtis Burrows fired home a second-half strike to earn Grantham Town a point at Skelmersdale United on Saturday.

With 73 minutes on the clock, Skem failed to fully clear a ball in their penalty area, and when the ball was played back into the box Burrows timed his run to perfection to leave the defence standing as he forced his effort into the net.

The Gingerbreads had to be content with a point on the opening day of the season, but were perhaps wondering how they didn’t take all three.

Grantham created the better chances of the opening 45 minutes, Grant Ryan firing wide when well placed early on.

The hosts took an 18th minute lead, their only real chance of the first half, when Ben Hodgkinson’s deflected strike skimmed beyond the dive of Jake Turner.

For the rest of the half the GIngerbreads just saw chance after chance go begging.

Danny Meadows forced an excellent save from Martin Fearon before Rhys Lewis hit the bar with a scissor kick and Ryan also rattled the woodwork.

It was more of the same from Town after the break, the away side being awarded a penalty when Ben Saunders was felled by Bodie.

But with 65 minutes gone, Meadows’ spot kick was saved by Fearon.

With 20 minutes to go, Burrows replaced Luke Shaw, a masterstroke as three minutes later the scores were level.

Skem’s best chance of the second half saw Turner save well at his near post from Chris Almond, after his strike deflected off defender Stefan Galinski.

Grantham continued to push for a winner, but they had to make do with a point.


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More