Mixed results for Richardson racers

Andrew Richardson enjoys his place on the Thruxton podium. Photo: Jakob Ebrey
Andrew Richardson enjoys his place on the Thruxton podium. Photo: Jakob Ebrey
Have your say

CASTLE Bytham race team Richardson Racing endured a weekend of highs and lows at Thruxton in the third meeting of the Michelin Ginetta GT Supercup last weekend.

Brother and sister pair Andrew and Louise Richardson again impressed with their speed in the G50 class, but the three races at the Hampshire circuit provided a mixed bag of results for the teenage duo.

For his first ever race at Thruxton, Andrew qualified fifth in the G50 class and 13th overall, despite struggling with the handling of his car through the high-speed sections of the circuit.

Andrew made his usual fast start to jump up to second in class. An incident demoted him to third which he held on to secure a third podium finish of the season, crossing the finish line in ninth overall.

From ninth on the grid for race two, Andrew made up a place on the opening lap. Lap 13 was unlucky for Andrew when contact with another driver caused diffuser damage and he eventually finished fifth in class.

A restarted race three saw Andrew climbing into the top 10 overall and running fourth in class before his power steering failed heading though the high-speed left-hander at Noble. Despite that, Andrew continued until an alternator warning light came on, forcing him to pull into the pits to retire.

Andrew now sits seventh in the championship standings following the Thruxton weekend. He said: “We struggled a bit to get the set-up right, so we were quite lucky to get the podium finish in race one,.

“The team did a brilliant job to put the car back together for the final race and the car felt great, but then a belt snapped.”

Still suffering the after-effects of a bug, Andrew’s sister Louise qualified seventh in class and 15th overall as she too struggled with the handling of her car through the quicker sections

With her handling issues resolved for the opening race, Louise climbed to fifth in class and 11th overall on the first lap. But contact with Jake Hill dislodged her bonnet and as a result she was left powerless to defend, and took the chequered flag sixth in class and 13th overall.

Louise climbed through the field well in race two but a spin at the Chicane lost her places and she finished fourth in class and 11th overall.

Her hopes of a strong end to the weekend ended in dramatic fashion when she was involved in a three-car accident at the start of race three.

Pole-sitter Alistair James stalled his G55 on the line and was struck by Aaron Williamson, leaving Louise with nowhere to go when his car rebounded in front of her.

Louise ended the Thruxton weekend sitting sixth in the championship chase.

Louise said: “I made a good start and got ahead of Fannin, and I would have got through without any problems if Aaron hadn’t pinged back in front of me.

“We were close to the pace and got close to the podium again this weekend, but I made some mistakes and got caught up in the chaos on track which meant I couldn’t repeat the results from Donington Park. The car felt so good through all the quick stuff this weekend but luck just wasn’t on our side.”