Home   Sport   Article

No disgrace in Harrowby United loss to high-flyers

Action from Harrowby United's game against Desborough Town on Saturday. Photo: Toby Roberts
Action from Harrowby United's game against Desborough Town on Saturday. Photo: Toby Roberts

United Counties League

Premier Division

Harrowby United 0

Desborough Town 3

High-flying Desborough Town were the visitors to the Environcom Stadium on a pleasant sunny Saturday afternoon and must have enjoyed their trip, leaving with the points in a comfortable victory which would lift them to third position in the league table.

The Arrows started brightly with Scott Floyd shooting over the bar after five minutes following a good move down the right. Harrowby continued to push forward but ‘Ar Tarns’ defence dealt with the initial push from the home side before going ahead after 14 minutes.

Leo Adams found plenty of time and space to deliver a cross from the right which found former Grantham Town favourite Jason Turner, whose relatively tame header just eluded Arrows keeper Chris Bennett’s outstretched arm and crept agonisingly into the bottom right hand corner of the net.

A quiet period then followed with neither team threatening to add to the scoring until just past the half hour mark when lively Town frontman Jake Bettles got in behind the Harrowby defence out on the right. Having cut inside, Bettles then unselfishly squared the ball to Turner who bundled the ball in at the far post under pressure from defender Jack Stafford for his second of the afternoon.

Five minutes later, Bennett did well to turn a low shot around a post to restrict the visitors’ lead to two at the break.

Harrowby came out in the second period looking to get back into the game and after 56 minutes their best effort of the afternoon saw James Brown get on the end of a cross into box, controlling the ball before delicately lobbing it over advancing Desborough custodian Chris Jones, only to see the ball bounce off the crossbar and go behind for a goal kick.

Harrowby struggled to find any real cutting edge after that chance and Town dominated from that point on. They only added one more goal though, thanks to some fine defending from Harrowby’s overworked back line.

The Desborough third goal after 65 minutes was the result of sloppy play in the Arrows midfield, relinquishing possession with a wayward pass that was picked up by Turner who this time turned provider. The striker slipped the ball through to Bettles who slotted confidently past a helpless Bennett.

The home side kept Desborough at bay for the remainder of the game, although the visitors thought they were going further ahead in the 82 minute but a good header from Adams was cleared off the line by an alert Sam Weatherstone.

There was no disgrace going down to a good on-form Desborough side, but the lack of firepower for the Arrows is worrying, especially as the two sides immediately above them, Boston Town and Kirby Muxloe, both enjoyed victories which stretches the gap to safety even wider.

Harrowby United: Bennett, Stafford, Weatherstone, Currall (c), Whyley, Floyd, Hickey, Browne, Brown (Farmer 75), Chavundura (Michniew 66), Godfrey (Matongo 72).


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More