Kesteven dominate after difficult start against Grimsby

Have your say

Midlands League 3

East (North)

Kesteven 41

Grimsby 3

Early exchanges proved difficult for the home team as Grimsby had early territory and possession. Kesteven found it difficult to get their hands on the ball and when Grimsby kicked through, the referee judged that the tackle on the kicker was late. Grimsby stepped up to kick the resulting penalty and took a deserved early lead.

The restart kick from Kesteven was better and finally the home team got a foothold in the Grimsby half. The forwards won good ball and when Wood and Parker fed the ball to the right, Taylor who ran in from 40 metres for the try and went in front.

The game remained scrappy with fluent play difficult as the forwards closed down space for the backs. The second try saw the ball come to Cameron Hudson, 30 metres out. He found the way to his fellow three-quarter blocked so cut back against the natural line and weaved his way through the defence to score an improbable five points.

Grimsby did get their way into the home half before the break. They had two penalty attempts at goal but both failed.

Just before the break, Kesteven got the decisive score and once again it was the teenage centres who carved out the opening. Hudson made the break and Taylor responded to direction from skipper Jordan to beat the defence and score. This time Parker added the conversion to take the score at half time to 17-3.

Kesteven were soon on the scoresheet after the break, again through the subtle pace of Taylor who finished off another fine move in which Jordan and Whittaker played a part. This brought the bonus point and Parker again added the goal points.

Grimsby conceded more penalties and Ks’ domination brought more tries. Taylor added a fourth in the corner, finishing off a move from a short penalty, before Hudson outpaced the defence with a strong run to score his second.

The last 10 minutes saw Kesteven camped in the Grimsby 22. The forwards tried to get a score but when the final attempt failed, a loose clearance kick was caught by Ollie Hughes who cut in side and found great support from his fellow backs. Whittaker crucially straightened the line before passing to Taylor who scored a remarkable fifth try between the posts. Harland kicked the conversion to seal victory.

Hudson was awarded man of the match for his enormous contribution in scoring his two tries, plus setting up three others.

Kesteven: Whittaker, P. Jordan, Hudson, Taylor, J. Hughes, Parker, Wood, Odams, Sheardown, Purvis, Pert, Carew, Webster, Flear, Woolerton. Reps: Brown, Harland, O. Hughes.