RUGBY: Kesteven 2nd dominate against heavier pack

Weekend rugby union preview.
Weekend rugby union preview.
Have your say

Notts Pennant League

Kesteven 2nd 40

Chesterfield 2nd 19

Kesteven were able to field a very strong team, but it was clear what Chesterfield’s game plan was, given their two stone per man advantage in the pack.

The deadlock was broken when the ball was shifted wide and collected by Rupert Jordan who jinked a couple of last ditch defenders to score the opening try.

A powerful break by Charlie Pirie saw him stopped just short, but he was well supported by Will Pert who collected the offload and dotted the ball down for Ks’ second try.

It was not to be all one way traffic and Kesteven were continually penalised at the breakdown for a variety of infringements, and Chesterfield were able to utilise their excellent kicker to slot over two penalties in quick succession.

Eventually Ks resorted to the original game plan and a neat pass from Rob Cooper released Ian Charles down the left wing. Sensing that he was going to be bundled into touch, he threw an outrageous behind the back/overhead offload to the supporting Rob Windsor who powered over.

Ks were penalised again at the breakdown, this time the referee showing a yellow card to Phil Jordan. Chesterfield again slotted the penalty for 15-9 at half time.

Replacement Des Vincent made an immediate impact in the second half and was able to squeeze over for the bonus point try.

As play entered the Ks 22 from the kick-off, the referee again blew his whistle for further infringements by Kesteven, Sam Danford the accused this time and he was shown a yellow card. Chesterfield slotted the penalty.

With Phil Jordan assuming the nine jersey for the afternoon, he picked up from the base of the scrum and ran a superb line, drawing the oncoming defence, he then popped a great ball to the oncoming Cooper who raced over to score.

Chesterfield mounted a further attack. They moved the ball wide and utlised the one man advantage to force an overlap and went over in the corner, and successfully converted the score for 25-19.

Danford was then forced to leave the field with a head injury which meant that the second team coach had to come on to keep the teams at 15-a-side. At the point of him entering play, Kesteven had been awarded a penalty outwide, he decided to kick for goal, and was able to convert the penalty.

Almost immediately, Ks scored again with Rupert Jordan getting his second of the game.

Chesterfield knew the game was beyond them and, in the final play of the game, Tom Webster, who had had a solid game on his return from injury, bullocked his way over under the sticks from 20 metres out. Curtis Dingley converted.

Kesteven: Davies, Ward, Mawby, Pert, Kmieciak, Danford, Pirie, Webster, P. Jordan, Dingley, Cooper, Windsor, R. Jordan, Hall, Charles, Friel.