RUGBY: Kesteven suffer last minute defeat at Sleaford

Have your say

Midands League 3

East (North)

Sleaford 20

Kesteven 19

KESTEVEN made the short trip to Sleaford keen to get revenge for the last minute win by Sleaford when they visited Woodnook earlier in the season.

Kesteven enjoyed the best of the early part of the game, playing some good controlled rugby. Turner and Dingley at half back mixed play up very well with some good telling kicks and using the speedy backs to make ground.

It took 15 minutes to get the breakthrough when Dan Turner took a good pass from Dingley to ghost past his opposite number and go in for the first try. His conversion slid over courtesy of the post.

Ths spurred on Sleaford who now had the chance to take play into the Kesteven half. Some direct running from their scrum half tested the Ks’ defence but they held and responded with an excellent try involving forwards and backs. Clever interpassing sent Rob Cooper clear. He drew the home full back and sent a perfect pass to Grant Ward and the youngster added to his impressive try tally with one behind the posts. Dan Turner again converted to give the visitors a 14-0 half time lead.

The second half was a different story. Sleaford raised their game and scored with a penalty after two minutes. The strengthened wind was to Sleaford’s advantage and they kept Ks pinned back for the next 25 minutes. The Kesteven defence was terrific with Nathan Turner tackling well at full back and with the pack holding their own.

Sleaford’s pressure eventually told and they scored a try which was converted to narrow the scores. This actually relieved the preessure for Ks and they got a foothold in the Sleaford half for the first time since half time. Dan Turner put a penalty kick to the corner and from the line-out Pert won possession. The forwards kept the ball and worked it out to the backs. Dan Turner made a break for the line and when he was stopped, Grant Ward appeared off his wing to score a well worked try.

With a nine point lead and 10 minutes left, it was looking like Ks would prevail. Sleaford had other ideas and released their backs for a try in the corner. The conversion from far out was successful to narrow the gap to a crucial two points.

Sleaford had their tails up now. A penalty kick to the corner set up a good position and when they won the ball, their stand-off showed great skill and awareness to drop a goal to win the match. Kesteven had suffered a last minute defeat for the second week in a row and earned a losing bonus point for the fifth time this season.

Kesteven: N. Turner, Ward, P. Jordan, Cooper, O’Brien, D .Turner, Dingley, Odams, Hayward, Bennett, Cowley, Pert, Midgeley, Peabody, Coghill. Reps: Sayle, Bellamy, Whittaker.

Pennant League

Group 2

Kesteven 2nd 27

Sleaford 2nd 10

KESTEVEN began well, showing early forward dominance with the experience of Pearsey and the power of Paton and Shields evident in the early scrums.

But it was the visitors who managed to register the first score, when a midfield move broke down and the Sleaford flanker gratefully accepted the kind bounce of the ball and ran in unopposed for the try.

Kesteven did not panic and quickly worked their way upfield and set up a line-out on the opposition 22 where they claimed their own ball and executed a perfect rolling maul for Brett Login to crash over the line.

Mistakes in midfield led to a good platform for Sleaford on the five metre line. Good defence managed to keep Sleaford at bay but eventually they managed to work over for a good try.

Knowing that a score before half time was crucial James goodrich picked a mazy line through the Sleaford 22 and drew the last defender to pop a pass to the waiting Mark Herbert who ran in the score, his third in two weeks. Chris Jones caressed the conversion through the posts for a 12-5 half time lead.

A burst through on the 22 should have brought the next Kesteven score but Dolan managed to lose the ball in the act of scoring.

Sleaford were now looking to push the game and from a dropped ball by the full back, Ks’ Rob Windsor was on hand to collect and a relieved Kesteven side put some daylight between themselves and the visitors.

After pounding the blind side, James Goodrich switched open where the wide space was and fed a great pass for Ian Charles to dive in at the corner.

Dent used a trademark blindside dart to link with Charles who sprinted in for his second of the match, and Ks saw the match out for a deserved bonus point victory.

Kesteven: Shields, Login, Paton, Gordon, Hardy-Gillings, Hughes, Herbert, Pearsey, Dent, Jones, Windsor, J. Goodrich, Dolan, Charles, Blackley. Subs: Dovey, Pete, Oakes, J. Smith, C. Goodrich.


Boston 20

Kesteven 30

KESTEVEN under-11s played against a combined Boston under-11/12 team on Sunday and the difference in sizes was apparent from the start, the Boston side being a good deal heavier in the pack.

Despite the size difference, Kesteven’s forwards battled valiantly and consistently took possession in scrum and line-out, whilst more than holding their own in the loose.

After a competitive but tryless first half, Kesteven’s greater teamwork started to pay off. Half backs Tapson and Archer releasing the backs who moved the ball superbly, resulting in wingers Palin and Rogerson getting on the scoresheet through sheer pace.

Centre Wainwright took the more direct route, barging his way over for a third.

Boston’s greater strength took its toll towards the end of the game and they replied with a number of forward-based tries. Bt Kesteven’s forwards and backs continued to combine well, resulting in a second half Wainwright hat trick to seal the win.

Kesteven: Archer, Brighten, Campbell, B. Cole, J. Cole, Cox, Fawcett, Fuller, Hodgson, Hughes, Jakes, Moth, Palin, Parr, Peters, Rogerson, A. Tapson, T. Tapson, Taylor, Wainwright, Young.