RUGBY: Kesteven take foot off the gas and suffer defeat

Have your say

Midlands League 2

East (North)

Oakham 22

Kesteven 10

Kesteven slipped to second from bottom in the league after they took their foot off the gas in the final 15 minutes at Oakham on Saturday.

The visitors started the game strongly and much of the first 20 minutes were spent in the middle of the field, with Oakham having to work hard in defence. A good deal of promise was shown from the Black Army with some very well worked phases of play but, despite this, the team were not able to convert the pressure into points.

The final 20 minutes of the first half saw Oakham on the attack with good phases of their own. The home side managed to break a Kesteven tackle and found themselves with an overlap which they ran in for a try.

A few minutes later, a similar situation resulted in Oakham’s second try of the afternoon.

Ks began the second half with all guns blazing. The forwards carried the ball secured good territory through several phases of play. With an overlap advantage, Aaron Whitaker managed to go over for Kesteven’s first try out wide.

An equalising second try came through sheer slog in the forwards who made a good number of yards. It was not long before Kesteven arrived at the Oakham 5m line. Olly Wood fed James Cowley from the breakdown and the young prop crashed through the Oakham forwards and over the try line

Ks continued their attack from the restart but an unfortunate knock-on denied Phil Jordan a try.

The last quarter of an hour saw Kesteven noticeably take their foot off of the gas and Oakham were able to capitalise. A clever kick through from their scrum half saw the winger gather the ball and touch down out wide.

In the last minute of the game, a breakdown in communication within the Kesteven side allowed Oakham to turn the ball over and their flanker ran in their fourth try which was successfully converted

Man of the match went to Dan Turner.

Kesteven: Sheardown, Hayward, Cowley, Pert (Odams, 52), Carew, Webster, Sayle Jnr, Turner, Draper (Dent, 52), Galloway, Ingram, Goodrich, P. Jordan, Whitaker, Wood.

l Kesteven 2nd continued their winning streak with a 24-13 home victory over Lincoln 2nd and went are now eight consecutive games without a defeat.


Boston 36

Kesteven 0

Kesteven found themselves pegged back immediately and the home side’s ability to offload, coupled with some slow defensive work, put Boston 15-0 up at half time.

The second half started as the first ended. Boston added to their score however Olli and Tom Miles started to make some inroads into the Boston half with some good running. Tim M, back from injury, also marshalled the game well from fly half.

A combination of poor handling under pressure and Boston playing very close to the offside line at times, snuffed out any chance Ks created.

Ali Campbell led by example and Charlie Stewart won man of the match for his non-stop effort in the pack and his leadership.


Kesteven 32

Dronfield 15

Kesteven had a tough game against an extremely physical Dronfield side on Sunday.

But the Black Army’s usual slow start was not in evidence as right from the kick-off, Dronfield’s ball was stolen at the scrum by hooker Toby Tapson and Ks’ first attack finished with a try for Harry Bartlett.

The pattern continued for most of the first half with Kesteven taking ball at both scrum and line out at will. A long punt by fly half Tom Edwards was chased furiously by winger Jack Palin, who was tackled without the ball in the act of scoring, leaving the referee no option but to award a penalty try. Further tries by Bartlett, Zac Spriggs and Joe Douglas gave Kesteven a comfortable half time lead.

Josh Kwasau big’s hits in defence gave the opposition plenty to think about, but three second half tries were nevertheless leaked before Kesteven picked up their game again, with Edwards finally finding some space to wriggle over.

A final attack saw Kwasau batter his way over the line for a well deserved score and win for a gutsy Kesteven team.

Kesteven: Hodgson, T. Tapson, J. Cole, Hughes, Fuller, Kwasau, Cox, Bartlett, Archer, Edwards, Spriggs, Moth (c), Douglas, Palin, A. Tapson, B. Cole, Brenton, Rogerson, Brewis, Wainwright.


Nottingham Moderns 17

Kesteven 24

A strong performance up front from Kesteven ensured they came away from Nottingham Moderns with a well deserved win.

The first score came to Kesteven as Jack Pirie charged through from a quick penalty. Moderns responded well and their centre broke wide and raced away to score in the corner.

Just before half-time, a sniping run from Ks captain Jake Wright ended with in a second score in the corner.

After the break, George Knibbs made a strong run that ended in a score under the posts for a try on his debut. Danny Moore kicked the conversion to give Ks a 17-5 lead.

Good play in midfield then allowed Tom Casey to find some space out wide and race away to score. Moore’s kick was good again.

Moderns came back well and scored two late tries through their quick right wing, one of which was converted.

Man of the match was Lewis Cousin.

Kesteven: Addlesee, Archer, Bacon, Casey, Cousin, Desmond, Donnelly, Green, Kershaw, Knibbs, Lee, Moore, Parker, Pirie, Shelbourn, Simpson, Sweeney, Thomas, Whinney, Wright.