RUGBY: Kesteven thirds steamroller Bourne

Have your say

Lincs Merit League

Bourne 2nd 0

Kesteven 3rd 66

This match was switched to Woodnook as Bourne’s ground was unplayable.

Kesteven kicked off but the initial start did not auger well as the kick failed to go the 10 metres. Kesteven soon got on top though as their pack took control. The early handling was not great but eventually Ks settled down well.

After the first 10 minutes of sizing each other up, Morgan opened the scoring with a simple run in. This was followed up by some fine handling by both forwards and backs, and the tries came at regular intervals.

Hayward and Peabody picked up from last week and combined well to send Paul Anderson in for his first try for the club, before Rob Cooper, making a welcome return after a long spell out through injury, got the third.

Bourne had the chance to show it was not all one way traffic and went close to scoring twice. Both times they somehow managed to stumble and miss the chances.

From one interception, the Bourne wing raced for the posts but was caught by Charles who chased back with great determination. He picked up the loose ball and set off to the other end, and the move was finished with a fine try by McAllister.

Before the break, Cooper got his second and Smith and Morgan added further tries. Paton and Smith converted one try apiece to make the score 39-0 at the break.

The second half started well for Bourne with Midgeley enoying pitting his wits against his own team. Twice he went close to scoring but each time he lost the ball at the last moment.

From the second one, Dent took possession behind his own line and broke out to half way. The support was good and Dent followed up to take the final pass and score at the posts. Morgan converted.

Dent turned provider for the next try when he found Richard Dolan on support to score. Then Peabody ripped the ball clear to score before Charles finished off another sweeping move. Paton brought proceedings to a close with the final try just on time.

It was a good afternoon’s rugby, played in just the right spirit. Boyrne never gave up and with a bit more luck could have had three tries of their own. In the end, the fact that Kesteven had the resources to bring on fresh players made the difference.

Kesteven: McAllister, Anderson, Cooper, S. Smith, Charles, Dent, Morgan, T. Smith, Hayward, Paton, Marvin, Arnold, J. Smith, Dolan, Peabody. Reps: Cunningham, Hughes, Hanson (playing for Bourne: King, Midgeley, Price, Arnold.


Kesteven 40 Melton 15

Kesteven West Bridgford 10

A resounding victory over Melton saw Jake Eagle lead the pack and score a hat trick of tries, with Ben Whinney scoring a brilliant individual try from deep inside his own half.

Will Seage, Jack Pirie and Sean Nel crashed over thrice more and Jake Wright scored a lovely sniping scrum-half’s try to win the first game of the new year.

Ks had West Bridgford on the back foot from the off, with James Simpson putting on a fearsome display of tackling.

Two poor second-half scrums led to West Bridgford scoring two tries.


Kesteven 14 Melton 0

Kesteven 17 Bourne 0

Kesteven 10 West Bridgford 20

After a scoreless first half, Kesteven took control against Melton, with Bob Singer opening the scoring. Full-back Sam Sacker added two points from the conversion.

A solid Kesteven scrum allowed Jamie Bishop to burst over for a second try, with Ted Morris kicking the conversion.

Ben Jinks crashed over for the opening try just before half time against Bourne. Finley Stewardson’s kick was good.

Ks were rewarded when Singer scored his second try of the day and Jamie Bishop also bagged his second.

Kesteven went behind to West Bridgford but Archie Lyle’s try levelled for a while. Ks conceded again and twice more after the break.

Singer produced the final score of the day.

Kesteven: Clink, Jinks, Levy, Lyle, Singer, Solomon, Watmough, Ainsworth, J. Bishop, P. Bishop, Duncomb, Kearsey, Pepper, Sacker, Shennan, Spencer, Stewardson, Weir.