RUGBY: Kesteven throw match away in dying minutes

Sean Templeton bursts through the Stamford defence en route to his second try of the match for Kesteven. Photo: Louise Clark
Sean Templeton bursts through the Stamford defence en route to his second try of the match for Kesteven. Photo: Louise Clark
Have your say

Midlands League 2

East (North)

Stamford 34

Kesteven 31

Kesteven started very well with the downhill and wind advantage and Sean Templeton broke through several Stamford tackles to touch down under the posts in the opening minute, giving Martyn Parker an easy conversion.

The same feat was duplicated five minutes later as Templeton again broke through the Stamford back line to touch down under the posts. Parker’s kick was successful once more.

Kesteven added five more points to the tally on the 11 minute mark when James Goodrich punched up the field, feeding Aaron Whittaker who then danced past the lethargic Stamford defence to touch down out wide.

Midway through the first half, Ks found themselves down to 14 men after a tackle by James Cowley on the Stamford 13 was deemed to be a shoulder barge. They pressed on undeterred and came away with a further five points after Goodrich and Whittaker repeated their earlier display.

Just before Kesteven were back at full strength, Stamford found space out wide and an overlap, and were able to touch down for an unconverted try.

With minutes to go before half time, Stamford gained ground and were approaching the Kesteven 22m line. The home side recycled the ball quickly from a ruck but the Kesteven defensive line rushed up quickly and Martin Carew was able to intercept a pass, pluck the ball from the air and charge home for five points right under the posts. Parker converted with ease for a 31-1 half time lead.

The second half started with Stamford upping their game significantly with the downhill and wind advantage. It was not long before a Kesteven mistake followed by a clever Stamford move in the centre of the park gave the home side an overlap and they galloped home for a converted try.

Another overlap minutes later following a Ks’ error saw saw Stamford close the gap to 31-17.

With their tails up, Stamford pressured and added two further tries.

With the score at 31-29 and just two minutes remaining, the home side gained possession in the Kesteven 22. Once again, Kesteven’s defensive line was slow to organise and react and Stamford were battered their way through for a questionable try to clinch the game.

Kesteven: Odams, Hayward. Cowley, Pert, Carew, Peabody (Midgley, 69), Woolerton (c), Sayle Jnr, Cann, Parker, P. Jordan (Young, 40), Templeton, Goodrich, Taylor, Whittaker. Subs not used: Dolan.

Notts Pennant League

Group Two

Kesteven 2nd 29

Nottingham GEMS 19

Following a couple of early runs, lightning quick Danny Williams was finally put into space midway through the half and with an impressive turn of speed sped round the bewildered GEMS defence to dot down under the posts from 60 metres out. Harland kicked the simple extras.

GEMS came straight back and managed to engineer a good try for their 13, but crucially Andy Price tracked back to ensure he could only score out wide and the conversion attempt was missed.

Eventually, the Ks second string managed to set up a position on GEMS’ 22 metre line and Makwana made a burst on the blind side that the Nottiingham side could not handle and scored a well deserved try out wide.

Again GEMS responded immediately, taking a quick tap penalty and scoring under the posts. The extra points were kicked to level the scores at 12-12 going into half time.

Shortly after half time, Ks were awarded a penalty 30 metres out and sensibly they opted for the kick which Harland duly converted to give a slender lead.

Osborne benefitted from an overlap to score his second try in two weeks and the conversion attempt was good.

Ks looked comfortable for the first time until GEMS engineered an excellent try to put the pressure back on.

But Kesteven took the ball back from the restart and promptly drove GEMS back to their line where the canny Osbourne was again the man with the ball in his hand to complete a brace of tries and

seal a well deserved if difficult bonus point victory.

Kesteven: Brown, Friel, Osbourne, Hanson, Clarke, Crowson, R. Dolan, J. Smith, J. Hughes, Harland, Williams, Makwana, Windsor, Charles, A. Price A, Reps: Vincent, Cunningham.


RFU Midlands quarter-final

Kesteven 10

Old Northamptonians 34

Kesteven fought their way up the pitch and, with some clever kicking, spent the first five minutes in the visitors’ half.

But it was Northamptonians who opened the scoring, capitalising on a mistake and taking the ball down the wing to put the first points on the board.

The next two tries came from ON’s impressive backline. One was well worked with a few phases before spinning the ball out wide, and the other was an interception of a loose pass and an 80 yard run in.

The Black Army finally got themselves on the scoresheet when Ben Addlesee took a tap penalty and pushed the opposition back. The forwards regrouped and mauled the ball over the whitewash.

After half time, ON added several more tries and the game began to slip away from Kesteven’s grasp.

But the Black Army did not give up and battled their way down the pitch and camped on the try line. They were met with some solid defending but the ball eventually came lose and was fired out wide into the safe hands of Jo Ryder who touched down.

ON added to their tally and Ks drove over the try line but the referee was unsighted and missed the grounding before the final whistle was blown to end hopes of progressing to the National Tournament.

Kesteven: Allan, Danford, Cole, Singer, J. Addlesee, White, Shennan, Bloodworth (c), B. Addlesee, Fletcher, Bosworth, Bowers, Ryder, Cartwright, Adams, Taggart, Perie, Fay.


Skegness 27

Kesteven 29

Barely a minute into the game, with quick ball to hand, Kestevens found Tom Miles on the wing who duly ran in the first try.

A great break by Ks saw Ollie go over the whitewash for another Ks try.

With both teams showing great handling and not many errors in the backs, the two sides went in at half time with Ks leading 10-14.

Skegness brought the game back to Ks and two good scores saw them nudge in front.

Tries were exchanged between both teams with Cameron, Ollie and Marcus all scoring, with Tom Mawer kicking two conversions and unlucky with two that hit the post.

Man of the match was Ali.

Under-13 NLD Cup semi-final

Kesteven 7

Stamford 49

Stamford were soon on the scoreboard with tries from their strong centre and very quick right wing.

Kesteven did get back into the game with a try for Jake Wright following a clever grubber kick from Ethan Archer. A fantastic conversion from Danny Moore bounced over off the cross bar.

Stamford showed their quality with a very good back row, a strong midfield and some genuine pace out wide to keep the score moving on. Ks kept going right to the end, but eventually ran out of steam and conceded two very late tries.

Kesteven: Addlesee, Archer, Bacon, Cant, Desmond, Donnelly, Eagle, Green, Kershaw, Lee, Moore, Norsworthy, Parker, Pirie, Simpson, Sweeney, Thomas, Wright.


Kesteven 25 Oakham 5

Kesteven 5 Wisbech 5

Kesteven 0 Sleaford 5

Kesteven took part in the Spalding Festival on Sunday and got off to a good start with victory over Oakham.

Tries were scored by Jonny M., Geordie (2), Josh and Tom H.

Ks drew against Wisbech with a single try coming from Tom H.

A tired Kesteven immediately took on Sleaford but lost to a single first half try.