Home   Sport   Article

Second successive victory for Harrowby United

Scott Webb set up both of Harrowby's goals against Boston Town on Tuesday night. Photo: Toby Roberts
Scott Webb set up both of Harrowby's goals against Boston Town on Tuesday night. Photo: Toby Roberts

United Counties League

Premier Division

Harrowby United 2

Boston Town 1

Harrowby United made it back-to-back home wins for the first time this season, against Lincolnshire neighbours Boston Town, to take another valuable three points in the fight to stave off relegation.

The first half was a cagey affair with few openings created and defences on top. Scott Webb fired a free kick in a dangerous position but failed to trouble Poachers keeper James Doughty.

On 36 minutes, Doughty was called into action, appearing to take the legs of Arrows’ lively debutant Declan Carr, signed this week from Blackstones, but referee Mr Manolescu dismissed the appeals for a penalty.

Ryan Oliver fired wide for Boston on 42 minutes before Harrowby got their noses in front. With a minute of the half remaining, the Arrows were awarded a free kick on the left which was curled into a dangerous area by Webb. Sam Hill got the march on Doughty to reach the ball first and direct a firm header into the net from around eight yards out.

John Currall picked up an early second half caution as Boston came out on the offensive and Harrowby keeper Jack Drury made a fine save from Oliver after 49 minutes, diving to his right to keep out the shot before Jack Whyley hooked away the loose ball to deny the visitors.

A minute later Harrowby doubled their lead when a fine surging run through the centre of midfield by Webb ended with a lovely slide rule pass for Lee Shaw to run on to. Shaw advanced into the left side of the penalty area before firing left-footed past the on-rushing Doughty and inside the right hand post.

Harrowby pushed on, looking to increase their advantage, with Webb shooting over after 53 three minutes.

Ten minutes later, a good ball out of defence from Whyley found Webb who set Carr away. The young striker was denied by a fine diving save from Doughty. Tom Potts was next to try his luck, turning well on the edge of the box and but shooting fractionally wide.

With a quarter of an hour remaining, Carr was again thwarted when, after a great run, his shot was deflected behind for a corner by a fine block from Boston defender Simon Ashton. The resulting corner brought about a scramble in the penalty area which ended with a shot wide from Lewis Watson.

Five minutes from time, Shaw had another effort blocked for a corner. A minute later, Hill brought a good save from Doughty, shooting from the edge of the box. Shaw followed up but was denied by the assistant referee’s offside.

Harrowby were given a real scare when, with a minute of normal time remaining, a shot through a crowd of players was palmed away by Drury, but only as far as Oliver and the Boston striker, recently signed from Spalding United, stroked the ball home.

Mr Manolescu ended proceedings after five minutes of stoppage time to give the Arrows the spoils.

Harrowby’s man of the match was Simon Bolland.

Harrowby United: Drury (c), Weatherstone, Clarke, Hill, Whyley, Potts, Currall (Watson, 68), Bolland (Atkinson, 78), Webb, Carr, Shaw. Subs not used: Daykin, Cordosa.


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More