Home   Sport   Article

TRIATHLON: Belvoir Tri Club members tackle long distance runs

Patrick Cutmore won his first half marathon at Wellingborough.
Patrick Cutmore won his first half marathon at Wellingborough.

Three Belvoir Tri Club members braved the wind, rain, cold and mud at the first Newark Marathon, part of the Newark Castle Festival of Running.

Ove Andresen, Blake Hutchinson and Neal Burnham were amongst the line-up at the start in the castle grounds. Blake and Neal were trying their first marathon distance whilst Ove had previously completed several marathons.

All three had trained together during the preceding months and were satisfied with their preparations leading up to the event. The main sections of the course followed the River Trent using a mixture of towpaths, pavements, grassed paths and fields making the course very slippery – and with the addition of several styles, gates and an enforced walking section, it proved difficult to maintain a good pace.

Ove used his experience and achieved a very respectable finish time of 3hr 56min, placing him ninth overall. Blake and Neal were happy to support each other throughout the race and spurred each other on to finish in 24th and 25th overall with a time of 4:23.

Ove said: “Besides the start of the race being delayed by 15-20 minutes – which wasn’t very nice because it was freezing cold – the race was decent and mostly off road and consisted of a short loop going out to the north of the park and a longer loop going to the south of the park. We went past the marina and back along the river encountering some muddy paths.

“The marathon was intercepted with compulsory 200m walks which we had to do a total of four times which was a little unusual.”

All three will continue to train with Belvoir Tri Club as their next event is a half marathon in later this month.

Patrick Cutmore was among 300 competitors in the Santa Run, Stanwick Lakes, in Wellingborough, on Sunday.

It was Patrick’s debut to half marathon running and, whilst the scenery was stunning, the weather was not very abiding.

Patrick said: “It was a cold, wet and windy morning which didn’t do anything for my nerves. I didn’t know what to expect but knew I had to pace myself.”

There was an immediate burst of pace from the front which Patrick longed to chase down, but he was to be the tortoise amongst the hares.

Patrick said: “I kept to my pace and by mile two I was running in third place with first and second about 50m ahead of me. By mile three I had taken the lead. A lead I thought I was going to lose in the last mile as my legs slowly began to give up on me.”

But Patrick managed to hold on and took the win across the finish line by 30 seconds, very pleased with his finish time of 1:30.


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More