Home   Sport   Article

United dumped out of county trophy after starting well

Lincs Senior Trophy

Bourne Town 4

Harrowby United 2.

Harrowby United suffered an off night as near-neighbours Bourne Town deservedly progressed in the Lincs Senior Trophy at their Abbey Lawns ground.

The Arrows started well enough and took the lead after only 10 minutes when top scorer Danny Durkin latched on to a poor back pass from Wakes left back Dan Wilson and rounded keeper Alex Brown before rolling the ball into an empty net.

Having gained the lead, Harrowby went on to create and waste a whole host of chances. They did have the ball in the net after 14 minutes when a fine through-ball from Rick Brewer found Craig Bridge inside the box who finished with a first time shot, only to be denied by the assistant referee’s flag for offside.

Wakes keeper Brown turned a shot behind for a corner from Durkin on 18 minutes after being played in behind the Bourne defence by a pass from Bridge.

Bourne also had their moments. A poor punch from Harrowby keeper Craig Rhodes presented the ball to Sam Wilson who delayed his shot and allowed Rhodes to smoother the ball and make amends for his error. A poor pass out of defence by Sam Hill gave the ball to Wakes striker Jake Mason whose shot was turned behind by Rhodes at the expense of a corner.

Just before the half hour mark, Durkin shot into the wide of the left hand upright after being set up by Bridge and shortly after, fired a snapshot from the edge of the box over the cross bar.

Bourne made Harrowby pay for missed chances as they levelled three minutes before the break. Lewis Watson twice failed to clear the ball out on the left allowing Aaron Warrener to cross the ball into the middle for Jake Mason to head past Rhodes from the edge of the six yard box.

Bourne grew in confidence as the second half progressed and Jake Mason shot straight at Rhodes after 57 minutes. Harrowby went straight up the other end and Bobby Lee hit a dipping effort that just cleared the cross bar.

The home side edged in front after 67 minutes when a move down the left ended with a low cross across the Harrowby six yard box, which was tapped home at the far post by substitute Glenn Spearink. Four minutes later, Spearink increased Bourne’s lead, heading home inside the six yard box from a cross from the right.

The Arrows were reduced to 10 men after 71 minutes with a straight red card for Bridge who could count himself unlucky to be singled out by the referee for a card following a melee of pushing and shoving after Brewer had been brought down on the half way line.

Harrowby pulled a goal back after 86 minutes when a long free kick into the heart of the Bourne penalty area was met by the head of Dan Mason who diverted the ball past Brown for an own goal.

The Arrows were unable to find a leveller to force a penalty shoot-out and in the final minute switched off at the back to allow a throw-in to find Spearink completely unmarked. The Bourne player controlled the ball before firing it past Rhodes to complete his hat trick and compound a miserable night for the Arrows.

Harrowby United: Rhodes, Whyley, Watson, Hill, Stubbs (Drury, 66), Lee, Bolland (Andersen, 55), Brewer, Bridge, Durkin, Webb.


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More