Home   Sport   Article

Victory puts Grantham Town back in the play-off zone

Lee Shaw (left) scored the Gingerbreads' opener. Photo: Toby Roberts
Lee Shaw (left) scored the Gingerbreads' opener. Photo: Toby Roberts

Grantham Town defeated second placed Stourbridge 2-1 at home on Saturday, taking the Gingerbreads back into the play-off berths of the Northern Premier League Premier Division.

Town are now back up to fifth spot but the win dropped the visitors down to third, just a point in front of Grantham.

Curtis Currows (right) set up Harry Clifton up for Grantham Town's second goal. Photo: Toby Roberts
Curtis Currows (right) set up Harry Clifton up for Grantham Town's second goal. Photo: Toby Roberts

After a steady start by both sides at a murky and bitterly cold Meres, chances aplenty started go the way of an increasingly confident-looking Grantham.

It was a hard fought first half and the Gingerbreads deserved some reward for their endeavours going forwards, but the opening 45 minutes ended in a goalless stalemate.

However, that soon changed after the break when a half-asleep Stourbridge defence allowed a quick Town move to flourish, with top scorer Lee Shaw finishing it off with aplomb when he evaded defenders and slotted the ball in past prone Stourbridge keeper Matthew Gould.

With their tails up, it was all Grantham going forward and they doubled their lead in the 65th minute when Harry Clifton half-volleyed into the back of the net from a Curtis Burrows cross.

The game then became quite open and play swung from end to end.

Stourbridge were awarded a dangerous free kick on the edge of the box in the 80th minute, but it was driven into the Grantham wall.

With the joyous Gingerbreads fans awaiting the final whistle, the visitors pulled a goal back in the 92nd minute.

Stourbridge substitute Drew Canavan’s 30-yard free kick was headed out for a corner kick by Town skipper Stefan Galinski. The flag kick landed in a penalty box melee from where sub Jake Heath fired in unsighted through a gaggle of legs.

Amazingly, Stourbridge nearly stole a point in the 94th minute but Tom Tonks’ long throw was headed off the goal line.

Seconds later, referee Mr Silcock brought an end to proceedings to the glee of the Meres faithful.

Grantham Town: Preston, Wildin, Storey, Hollingsworth, Galinksi (c), Burrows, Clifton, Lewis, Barcelos (Dasaolu 87), Lee Shaw, Luke Shaw. Subs not used: Koopowitz, Purcicoe, Curtis, Pickersgill. Att: 331.


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More