Home   Sport   Article

Video: Harrowby United go through with injury-time winner in FA vase

FA Vase 2nd Qualifying Round

Harrowby United 1 Leicester Road FC 0. (After Extra Time.)

Harrowby United progressed in the FA Vase with an extra time victory at the Environcom Stadium.

Harrowby United beat Leicester Road in the FA Vase. TRP-3-10-2015-579A (5)
Harrowby United beat Leicester Road in the FA Vase. TRP-3-10-2015-579A (5)

The visitors from Hinckley in Leicestershire were formed following the demise of Hinckley United in 2013 and take their name from, and play at United’s ground. Sam Hill’s winner in the first period of the extra half hour won the game for the Arrows in a close fought contest that could have gone either way.

Harrowby started brightly and on 12 minutes a ball cross field found George Stainfield whose second touch was a little heavy forcing him to shoot from a tight angle, the ball going over the cross bar. The “Knitters” best chance of an even first half fell to Joseph Lynes whose right foot shot was saved by Arrow’s keeper Jonny Hotson at the expense of a corner.

Early in the second half Leicester Road’s impressive centre back James Hartland hit the cross bar after a corner was only partially cleared. After 52 minutes good work in midfield by Ian Hillier created a shooting chance for Hill who fired a shot just wide. After 67 minutes Knitters keeper Will Highfield made a good double save following a corner. Firstly he parried Rick Brewer’s header and then got his positioning right to block a follow-up effort.

Stainfield thought he had broken the deadlock two minutes later when his well-struck shot from 25 yards rattled the right hand post and bounced clear. On 76 minutes a fine surging run from Brewer was stopped at the expense of a free-kick which, when delivered into the penalty area, was headed narrowly over by Simon Bolland.

Harrowby were grateful to keeper Hotson with ten minutes of normal time left when he got down to save at the feet of Amavir Sandhu and was alert enough to get up and block the follow-up effort. Three minutes from the end of normal time Stainfield picked up a clearance from a corner and saw his shot deflected wide. Two minutes into stoppage time the visitors had a glorious chance win it. Hillier conceded possession in midfield allowing a quick break from substitute Connor McEnroe who wasted a one on one opportunity with Hotson by shooting wide.

The Arrows started extra-time in a positive fashion and Scott Webb had a shot saved by the feet of Highfield and Brewer headed just over the cross bar. The decisive winner arrived just before half-time of extra-time when a long Hillier throw in from the right was flicked on by Stubbs to Hill who hooked a looping shot over everyone which found the far corner of the net to the delight of the tiring Arrows.

Harrowby were able to ‘shut up shop’, limiting Leicester Road to only a couple of shooting chances that were both dealt with comfortably by Hotson.

Harrowby now face a trip to AFC Wulfrunians in Wolverhampton in the FA Vase First Round Proper on October 31.

Harrowby United Man Of The Match:- Jack Whyley.

Harrowby United:- Jonny Hotson, Simon Bolland, Lewis Watson, Jack Whyley, Billy Stubbs(c), George Stainfield, Sam Hill, Rick Brewer, Ian Hillier, Danny Durkin, Scott Webb.


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More