Home   Sport   Article

YOUTH FOOTBALL: Gingerbreads teens maintain 100 per cent record

Man-of-the-match Luke Pulfrey with main and match sponsors Kia and the Richardson brothers, sponsors of team tracksuits.
Man-of-the-match Luke Pulfrey with main and match sponsors Kia and the Richardson brothers, sponsors of team tracksuits.

Mid Lincs League


Grantham Town 3

Skegness 1

Grantham Town maintained their 100 per cent record in their last home match of the season.

But was Skegness who started the early running in this game and the Grantham defence were called upon to clear the visitors’ early chances.

The Gingerbreads had a chance on five minutes but Kieran Smith saw his shot go wide of the target. Two minutes later, the hosts led with a superb overhead shot from Lewis Smith that crashed into the back of the net.

There were chances at both ends and Harry Pulfrey in the Grantham goal did well on several occasions to thwart any Skegness attacks.

Henry Johnson delivered a good performance at centre half, alongside Tom Clark, and both players made great challenges to restore the Grantham lead. Going forward, wide players Luke Pulfrey and Keiran Tarver were put in a great shift and were well supported by captain Ollie Burton and Alfie Hardman in getting the ball through to the Grantham front two.

With 17 minutes on the clock, Grantham doubled their advantage when Lewis Smith, with the sweetest of touches, lobbed the keeper from 25 yards.

Skegness rallied as they tried hard to get back into the game and several times broke through, only to find the hosts’ keeper coming off his line to clear. Matthew Lambley and Jakub Radowski played some great football at full back to keep out any Skegness attacks in wide positions.

Both Kieran and Lewis Smith went close to adding to the hosts’ tally but saw their shots saved by the visitors’ goalkeeper. Man-of-the-match Luke Pulfrey dropped his shoulder and struck a fine shot which sailed narrowly over the bar just before the referee blew for the interval.

The second half began with Liam Ginnelly on in centre midfield and Jack Carroll on the right of midfield for Grantham.

The Gingerbreads battled hard to find a third goal but Skegness defended well and kept the hosts out on a few occasions. The visitors had chances of their own and were growing in confidence with some neat moves, however Grantham coped admirably with the Skegness pressure.

Twenty minutes into the half, the visitors got some reward for their work as a move down the left was put through to theirs striker who calmly slotted the ball past the advancing Harry Pulfrey and into the net.

This spurned Skegness on and they had their best spell of the game, adding more pressure on to the Grantham defence. The Gingerbreads had chances too and saw a shot from the left go wide and another one go over the bar as the hosts attempted to regain their two goal advantage.

With six minutes remaining, the hosts found Kieran Smith just inside the box and this time his shot hit the back of the net to make it 3-1.

Grantham pressed for more late on but had done enough to take the points.

Kia Victor Wood kindly sponsored the game at The Meres stadium and had cars on display and a gazebo for a tea bar for parents and supporters.


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More