Home   Sport   Article

YOUTH FOOTBALL: Grantham Town U13 lose final game

Grantham Town under-13s
Grantham Town under-13s

Mid Lincs Youth League


Market Rasen 4

Grantham Town 1

Grantham Town travelled to Market Rasen for their final league match of the season.

Grantham had won their last three games and were looking to end the season on a high note against a very talented side.

The first half was fast paced as both sides had chances with some excellent football. The hosts edged the first half and on several occasions tested keeper Harry Pulfrey who was in fine form in keeping the score level.

Lewis Smith at the other end had chances but just couldn’t get that all important finishing touch.

Matthew Smith and Henry Johnson were working hard in the Grantham defence as Market Rasen looked to gain an advantage.

Liam Ginnelly and Ollie Burton in central midfield kept the pressure on their opponents and there were also good runs from both wide players Luke Pulfrey and Jack Carroll as the Gingerbreads tried to make the breakthrough.

The score remained goalless at half time in what was an entertaining and close 30 minutes.

The hosts came out in the second half with a lot more purpose and they opened the scoring on 40 minutes after they broke through the Grantham defence.

Grantham worked hard for a quick reply but were left frustrated at times as they couldn’t get a clear cut chance. Kieran Smith weaved his way past a couple of defenders but couldn’t get a shot in at goal.

Market Rasen attacked again and were getting on top, and a neat move ended in them doubling their lead on 47 minutes.

Grantham weren’t in a mood to give up though, they rallied hard to get back into the match. Matthew Lambley on a few occasions had runs down the left and put good balls into the box, but the Rasen defenders handled any attacks with great composure.

Grantham were working really hard but their good work was diluted on 62 minutes when the hosts broke through again to put them into a three goal lead.

The Gingerbreads were made to defend some more, however the pressure from the hosts told yet again as they secured the points with a fourth goal.

Jack Carroll came back on up front for Grantham and almost immediately found himself with a chance of a shot, which he hit well only to see it saved by the Rasen goalkeeper.

This wasn’t to be Grantham’s day, however in the last minute Matthew Smith ran into the hosts’ box and was fouled. The referee pointed to the spot and Gingerbreads captain Ollie Burton crashed home the penalty to give Grantham a deserved consolation.

Grantham man of the match was Harry Pulfrey


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More