Home   Sport   Article

YOUTH FOOTBALL: Great Ponton come from behind to record victory

Great Ponton's man of the match was Harry Wing.
Great Ponton's man of the match was Harry Wing.

Mid Lincs Youth League


Great Ponton 3

Market Rasen 2

Great Ponton started piling on the pressure right from the kick-ff.

Market Rasen tried playing long balls but they ended up right at the feet of man-of-the-match Harry Wing. But the Rasen defence were equal to the efforts made by the Ponton striking duo of Ayden O’Brien and Barry Harrison.

With some brilliant football being displayed by both sides, a momentary lapse of concentration from Ponton gave Rasen their opportunity and they went s goal up against the home side.

The second half was as closely fought as the first. Ponton, for the majority, looked the stronger side but soon found themselves two goals down.

Ponton refused to give up and pulled a goal back when the Rasen keeper saved a shot from O’Brien only to have his own team put the ball into his net.

This gave Ponton the drive and determination they needed and soon Harrison equalised with a superb finish from an excellent Owen Devine corner.

With only minutes left to play, Ponton were never going to be satisfied with a draw and pushed on for the win. And Harrison scored the winner for Ponton from yet another O. Devine set piece.

Great Ponton: Sweeney-Biffen, Wing, Harvey, Raitt, Croft, O. Devine, Hodgkinson, J. Devine, MacDonald, O’Brien, Harrison, Simmonds, Bilton, Tilbury.


Harrowby United 2

Nettleham 1

A large crowd gathered at the Environcom Stadium for this battle with old foes Nettleham and were not disappointed by what turned out to be a pulsating game to watch as the young Arrows went 12 league games unbeaten.

Harrowby started very brightly and promptly camped out in the vistors third of the field, with early chances going begging to the strike duo of Hull and Cox. Nettleham defended well under immense pressure from the young Arrows but the opening goal still seemed inevitable. The visitors were saved by the woodwork on two occasions and their keeper made several excellent saves.

Nettleham were looking to capitalise with a quick break by using their speedy front men, but were quickly stopped in their tracks by a well-drilled Harrowby defence. It looked for all intense and purposes that half time would arrive scoreless but a lapse in concentration by the Arrows back line allowed the visitors to net minutes from the interval.

The second period was much the same as the first with Harrowby constantly pressing up the field with yet again the woodwork coming to the visitors’ rescue.

The Arrows equaliser came after some great approach play by the midfield and a probing ball into the visitors’ box by Korban Read caused mayhem. After a few moments of football pinball, it fell to Henry Dilley who stabbed the ball home to level the scores.

Nettleham then went on the offensive and shortly afterwards had a goal chalked off for a narrow offside decision. With both sides going for the killer blow, Harrowby were also halted by the linesman’s flag with Cox bearing down on goal.

With only minutes to go, it looked like a draw would be a fair result for the hard work that both teams had put in, but in the dying seconds the ball broke loose to Adam Meffen on the right who delivered a delightful ball over the top. It was met by Read and with the last kick of the game he smashed the ball into the net.

Man of the match was Joe Down who was a rock at the heart of the Arrows defence.

This Sunday Harrowby welcome Immingham from the top flight of the Grimsby League for the semi-final of the Lincolnshire County Cup. Kick-off is 1pm and spectators are welcome.

Nottingham Youth League


Blidworth 4

Barrowby 5

This match was always going to be a tough battle between two potential title contenders.

Blidworth started more brightly and deservedly took a one goal lead through top scorer Gibson.

However, Barrowby rode the initial storm and early substitute Marshall put a lightning hat-trick past the home side within 10 minutes of his introduction.

With some fine midfield work from Kay, Dudley and Milne, the visitors looked comfortable despite a flurry of injuries and substitutions. In fact, Barrowby looked to be going from strength to strength when Marshall scored his fourth and Brewill made it 5-1.

Blidworth’s confidence was already severely dented when a sixth Barrowby goal was harshly judged offside.

This seemed to galvanise the home side and within 10 minutes they had pulled the score back to within a goal at 5-4.

A tense final 10 minutes saw Barrowby hold on for three vital promotion points.

Barrowby’s man of the match was Pigram.


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More